Crème de Cacao is a chocolate flavored creme liqueur. Crème liqueurs (not to be confused with cream liqueurs, made with a spirit base, cream, and flavorings) are so named due to their very high level of sugar, which provide a texture like cream.
There are many crème liqueur flavors, but all of them are syrupy in texture and low in alcohol, around 30 proof.
Though they taste the same, crème de cacao comes in two colors: brown and clear. Marie Brizard, Hiram Walker, and Bols are examples of producers of crème de cacao.
Some popular cocktails containing Crème de Cacao
- Mancini — Bourbon, Crème de Cacao, Chinato, Bitters, Orange peel
- Sonic Titan — Islay Scotch, Cynar, Zwack Unicum, Wormwood bitters, Crème de Cacao, Sea salt
- Conquistador (Jaime Salas) — Reposado Tequila, Manzanilla sherry, Crème de Cacao, Ancho Reyes Ancho Chile Liqueur, Orange bitters, Orange peel
- Siren of the Tropics — Jamaican rum, Port, Crème de Banane, Crème de Cacao, Bitters, Lime juice, Nutmeg
- 19th Century (Pegu Club) — Bourbon, Crème de Cacao, Aromatized wine, Lemon juice