Crème de Cacao is a chocolate flavored creme liqueur. Crème liqueurs (not to be confused with cream liqueurs, made with a spirit base, cream, and flavorings) are so named due to their very high level of sugar, which provide a texture like cream.
There are many crème liqueur flavors, but all of them are syrupy in texture and low in alcohol, around 30 proof.
Though they taste the same, crème de cacao comes in two colors: brown and clear. Marie Brizard, Hiram Walker, and Bols are examples of producers of crème de cacao.
Some popular cocktails containing Crème de Cacao
- Golden Cadillac (Coconut, GCNYC) — Galliano, Crème de Cacao, Coconut cream
- Leche del Diablo — Ancho Reyes chile liqueur, Crème de Cacao, Bitters, Cream
- The Noisy Cricket — Branca Menta, Crème de Cacao, Cream, Mint
- Sonic Titan — Islay Scotch, Zwack Unicum, Cynar, Crème de Cacao, Wormwood bitters, Sea salt
- Poirot — Crème de Banane, Averna, Aromatized wine, Crème de Cacao, Cream
- La Llorona — Mezcal, Herbal liqueur, Amaro Meletti, Crème de Cacao, Bitters, Lime juice
- Small But Mighty — Mezcal, Crème de Cacao, Pepper tincture, Lime juice, Passion fruit syrup
- A Warming Sensation — Irish whiskey, Luxardo Fernet, Crème de Cacao, Bitters
- Partial Hallucination — Tequila, Ancho Reyes chile liqueur, Crème de Cacao, Bitters, Lime juice, Cinnamon syrup
- Fernet "Milkshake" — Fernet Branca, Coffee liqueur, Crème de Cacao, Bitters, Cream, Egg white