Orange juice is the juice of the [ingredient=orange orange], the hesperide fruit of a evergreen, flowering tree native to China. Orange juice is produced by mechanically crushing the fruit segments, liberating a pale orange liquid from the ruptured cell walls. Typically, some of the oils expressed from the peel will be found in the juice as well, giving homemade orange juice a fresh, sharp orange aroma. In large commercial operations (especially those that rely on vacuum concentration of juice into concentrate), these oils are added back into the juice to mimic the taste of fresh orange juice.
Orange juice has a pH somewhere between 2.9 and 4.2, with most examples being closer to 4. It also has around 100 grams of sugar per liter.
Brazil produces 53% of the world's orange juice, usually exported as Frozen Orange Juice Concentrate (FCOJ), for which there is an international market. A large portion of the orange juice sold in the United States is a blend of Brazilian and domestic production.
Some popular cocktails containing Orange juice
- Un Poivron en Vacances (Mr Pepper on Holiday) — Barbados Rum, Allspice Dram, Bitters, Orange juice, Lime juice, Mango juice, Hellfire Habanero Shrub, Passion fruit syrup, Yellow bell pepper
- Bitter Loser — Bourbon, Campari, Orange liqueur, Mezcal, Bitters, Orange bitters, Orange juice, Orange
- Golden Dream (Sam Ross) — Triple sec, Galliano, Orange juice, Cream
- My Dear Quarantine — Gin, Pear liqueur, Soda water, Lemon juice, Orange juice, Simple syrup, Lemon peel, Cardamom
- Garibaldi — Campari, Orange juice
- Puka Punch — Light rum, Gold rum, Dark rum, Demerara Rum, Falernum, Crushed ice, Lime juice, Orange juice, Pineapple juice, Passion fruit syrup, Honey syrup, Cherry, Pineapple, Orange
- The Legend Continues — Dark rum, Coffee liqueur, Whole egg, Orange juice, Orgeat, Coffee bean
- Cafe Colada — Jamaican rum, Crème de Banane, Coffee liqueur, Pineapple juice, Coconut cream, Orange juice, Lime juice, Nutmeg
- Fogg Cutter — Light rum, Dark rum, Gin, Brandy, Crushed ice, Orange juice, Lime juice, Simple syrup, Almond extract
- Old Man Zeke — Stout, Bourbon, Amaro Meletti, Bitters, Grade A dark amber maple syrup, Orange juice