Orange juice is the juice of the orange, the hesperide fruit of a evergreen, flowering tree native to China. Orange juice is produced by mechanically crushing the fruit segments, liberating a pale orange liquid from the ruptured cell walls. Typically, some of the oils expressed from the peel will be found in the juice as well, giving homemade orange juice a fresh, sharp orange aroma. In large commercial operations (especially those that rely on vacuum concentration of juice into concentrate), these oils are added back into the juice to mimic the taste of fresh orange juice.
Orange juice has a pH somewhere between 2.9 and 4.2, with most examples being closer to 4. It also has around 100 grams of sugar per liter.
Brazil produces 53% of the world's orange juice, usually exported as Frozen Orange Juice Concentrate (FCOJ), for which there is an international market. A large portion of the orange juice sold in the United States is a blend of Brazilian and domestic production.
Some popular cocktails containing Orange juice
- My Dear Quarantine — Gin, Pear liqueur, Cardamom, Soda water, Lemon juice, Orange juice, Simple syrup, Lemon peel
- Pilgrim — Puerto Rican Rum, Orange liqueur, Allspice Dram, Bitters, Orange juice, Lime juice, Nutmeg
- Cafe Colada — Jamaican rum, Crème de Banane, Coffee liqueur, Pineapple juice, Coconut cream, Orange juice, Lime juice, Nutmeg
- Golden Dream (Sam Ross) — Triple sec, Galliano, Orange juice, Cream
- Old Man Zeke — Stout, Bourbon, Amaro Meletti, Bitters, Grade A dark amber maple syrup, Orange juice
- Beach Life Grog — Spiced Rum, Falernum, Jamaican rum, Orange juice, Pineapple juice, Grapefruit juice
- Q.B. Cooler — Jamaican rum, Puerto Rican Rum, Demerara Rum, Falernum, Bitters, Crushed ice, Club soda, Orange juice, Lime juice, Honey syrup, Ginger syrup
- Spirit of '76 — Apple brandy, Navy strength rum, Rye, Amontillado Sherry, Bitters, Peychaud's Bitters, Orange juice, Lemon juice, Cinnamon syrup, Grade B maple syrup
- Jeu d'Esprit — Genever, Triple sec, Elderflower liqueur, Bitters, Orange bitters, Club soda, Orange juice, Orange
- The Legend Continues — Dark rum, Coffee liqueur, Coffee bean, Whole egg, Orange juice, Orgeat