Swedish Punsch is a liqueur made from [ingredient=batavia-arrack arrack] (a rum-like spirit), flavorings, and sugar. It appears in vintage cocktail recipes, but is not widely available in the United States, although the Kronan brand is being imported. Intrepid blogger Erik Ellestad (Underhill Lounge) created this homemade facsimile:
Underhill Punsch, January 2009
2 c Rum, Appleton V/X
1 c Arrack, Batavia Arrack von Oosten
2 c Spiced tea, extra strong (4 tsp Peet’s Yunnan Fancy Tea, 6 crushed cardamom pods, brewed in 2 c water)
2 c Sugar, raw or natural
2 Sorrento lemons sliced thinly, seeds removed
- Put sliced lemons in a resealable non-reactive container large enough to hold 4 cups of liquid. Pour Rum and Batavia Arrack over citrus. Cover and steep for 6 hours.
- Dissolve sugar in hot tea and cool to room temperature. Refrigerate.
- After 6 hours, pour rum off of sliced citrus, without squeezing fruit.
- Combine tea syrup and flavored rum. Filter and bottle in a clean sealable container. Rest 24 hours and enjoy where Swedish Punch is called for.
Reproduced by permission of author.
Some popular cocktails containing Swedish Punsch
- Rudolph's Nose — Mezcal, Maraschino Liqueur, Herbal liqueur, Swedish Punsch, Lemon, Hibiscus syrup
- Song to the Siren — Jamaican rum, Port, Swedish Punsch, Virgin Islands Rum, Bitters, Lime juice, Cinnamon syrup, Nutmeg
- Handcuffed Lightning — Jamaican rum, Cognac, Sweet vermouth, Swedish Punsch, Apricot liqueur, Bitters, Orange peel
- Sheltering Sky — Cognac, Swedish Punsch, Bénédictine, Amontillado Sherry, Bitters, Orange peel
- The Hearing Trumpet — Scotch, Cardamaro, Swedish Punsch, Campari, Bitters, Orange peel
- Doctor Cocktail — Rum, Swedish Punsch, Orange juice, Lemon juice
- Havana 3 a.m. — Scotch, Jamaican rum, Swedish Punsch, Apricot liqueur, Absinthe, Lemon juice
- Schrage Muzik — Rhum Agricole, Mezcal, Swedish Punsch, Bénédictine, Campari, Bitters, Orange peel
- The Auteur Cocktail — Gin, Ramazzotti, Amère Nouvelle, Swedish Punsch, Herbal liqueur
- Burning Ice — Islay Scotch, Pedro Ximénez Sherry, Swedish Punsch, Absinthe, Peychaud's Bitters, Lemon juice
Explore more Swedish Punsch cocktails.