Swedish Punsch is a liqueur made from arrack (a rum-like spirit), flavorings, and sugar. It appears in vintage cocktail recipes, but is not widely available in the United States, although the Kronan brand is being imported. Intrepid blogger Erik Ellestad (Underhill Lounge) created this homemade facsimile:
2 c Rum, Appleton V/X
1 c Arrack, Batavia Arrack von Oosten
2 c Spiced tea, extra strong (4 tsp Peet’s Yunnan Fancy Tea, 6 crushed cardamom pods, brewed in 2 c water)
2 c Sugar, raw or natural
2 Sorrento lemons sliced thinly, seeds removed
- Put sliced lemons in a resealable non-reactive container large enough to hold 4 cups of liquid. Pour Rum and Batavia Arrack over citrus. Cover and steep for 6 hours.
- Dissolve sugar in hot tea and cool to room temperature. Refrigerate.
- After 6 hours, pour rum off of sliced citrus, without squeezing fruit.
- Combine tea syrup and flavored rum. Filter and bottle in a clean sealable container. Rest 24 hours and enjoy where Swedish Punch is called for.
Reproduced by permission of author.
Some popular cocktails containing Swedish Punsch
- Song to the Siren — Jamaican rum, Port, Swedish Punsch, Virgin Islands Rum, Bitters, Lime juice, Cinnamon syrup, Nutmeg
- The Hearing Trumpet — Scotch, Cardamaro, Swedish Punsch, Campari, Bitters, Orange peel
- Sheltering Sky — Cognac, Swedish Punsch, Bénédictine, Amontillado Sherry, Bitters, Orange peel
- Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea — Rum, Swedish Punsch, Apricot liqueur, Lime juice, Lime
- Chutes and Ladders — Blanco tequila, Swedish Punsch, Aromatized wine, Lime juice, Simple syrup, Orange peel
- Forgotten Leap Year — Añejo rum, Swedish Punsch, Gran Classico, Lemon juice, Lemon peel
- Doctor Cocktail — Rum, Swedish Punsch, Orange juice, Lemon juice
- Burning Ice — Islay Scotch, Pedro Ximénez Sherry, Swedish Punsch, Absinthe, Peychaud's Bitters, Lemon juice
- Schrage Muzik — Rhum Agricole, Mezcal, Swedish Punsch, Bénédictine, Campari, Bitters, Orange peel
- The Auteur Cocktail — Gin, Ramazzotti, Amère Nouvelle, Swedish Punsch, Herbal liqueur