Tawny Port is a type of Port that undergoes oxidative aging in a wooden barrel, typically for between eight and fifty years. While some Ports are aged in wood for between two (Single Quinta and Vintage) and four years (LBV), Tawny Port's extended barrel time affects the wine in many different ways.
Tawny Port is reddish brown to amber in color, with very old versions having a greenish color at the rim of the pour. They smell of caramel, honey and nuts, with older versions being dryer and younger Ports being sweeter and more luscious.
In most cases, Tawny Ports have a number on the label, which denotes the youngest aged Port in the blend. Common age statements are 10, 20, 30, and 40 years old.
Some good producers of Tawny Port are Ferreira, Dow, Taylor-Fladgate, Warre's, and Niepoort. Kopke is a specialist in what are called Colheitas, which are vintage dated Tawny Ports.
Some popular cocktails containing Tawny port
- Cosmopolitan Milk Punch — Vodka, Tawny port, Triple sec, Tonic water, Cardamom, Cranberry juice, Milk, Star anise, Lime juice, Sugar, Bay leaf, Clove, Pomegranate molasses, Orange peel, Grapefruit peel
- Dead Reckoning — Jamaican rum, Armagnac, Vanilla liqueur, Tawny port, Bitters, Lemon juice, Pineapple juice, Soda water, Maple syrup, Mint
- The Rusted Apiarist — Gin, Tawny port, Bärenjäger, Amaro dell'Erborista, Acid phosphate
- Cure for Pain — Rye, Bourbon, Tawny port, Sweet vermouth, Campari, White Crème de Cacao, Orange peel
- Port Authority — Cognac VSOP, Tawny port, Cassis, Bitters, Blackberry, Lemon juice
- Robert Johnson Swizzle — Bourbon, Tawny port, Bitters, Peychaud's Bitters, Vanilla syrup, Lemon juice, Mint
- Aura — Gin, Tawny port, Dry vermouth, Absinthe, Bitters, Raspberry, Egg white, Lemon juice, Fine sugar
- Bored Stiff — Tawny port, Amaretto, Crème de Cacao, Orange bitters, Lemon peel
- The Warlock's Hat — Rye, Tawny port, Demerara Rum, Nocino, Bitters, Lime
- Ellipsis — Guatemalan rum, Tawny port, Cynar, Triple sec, Bitters