My riff on Rome with a View and the Vatican City as delightfully herbal-bitter low proof tall drinks.
|3⁄4||oz||Aveze (Suze or Salers or similar gentian liqueur will work)|
|1⁄2||oz||Passion fruit syrup|
|2||oz||Soda water (In glass, not in shake)|
|1||twst||Orange peel (As garnish)|
Shake with ice and strain into a Collins glass containing 2 oz soda water. Fill with ice cubes, add a straw, and garnish with an orange twist.
Overall, the drink's appearance and balance is a complex orange soda albeit one with herbal and tropical flavors in the mix.
When I was plotting turning over the cocktail menu for Winter/Spring 2016 at Loyal Nine, I needed some new low proof drinks. For inspiration, I started to riff on Michael McIlroy's Rome With a View. Given that we had an abundance of Avèze gentian liqueur, I wanted to include that (instead of Rome With a View's Campari) especially after having tried the Vatican City riff of that neo-classic. Another drink that came to mind for a flavor combination was the Square Root in pairing Aperol, gentian, and citrus. Given how well passion fruit works with bitter liqueurs, I considered taking things in a tropical direction. Finally, the name Italian Stallion came up from thinking about Rome and Italian themes, and a kitchy movie title seemed apropos. In 2020, this drink was placed on the menu at the Paper Plane in San Jose, California, as part of their guest drink section.
- Bloody American — Sweet vermouth, Campari, Aperol, Seltzer water, Blood Orange Juice, Blood orange
- Campari Mojito — Campari, Light rum, Tonic water, Lime juice, Lime, Mint
- Debole & Tallawah — Overproof rum, Herbal liqueur, Bitter lemon soda, Contratto Aperitif, Orange
- Suze in Paradise — Suze, Tonic water, PInk grapefruit juice, Creme de Framboise
- Pisco Patio — Pisco, Aperol, Grapefruit bitters, Tonic water, Lime juice, Lime peel
- Bitter Grapefruit Fizz — Aperol, Campari, Seltzer water, Lime juice, Lime
- Berry Smash — Mirto, Peychaud's Bitters, Tonic water, Lime juice, Raspberry
- Khartoum — Cardamaro, Amaro Montenegro, Rum, Soda water, Orange peel
- Jeez Louise — Averna, Triple sec, Cynar, Soda water, Orange wheel, Lime juice
- Tree Fort — Bourbon, Fernet Branca, Peychaud's Bitters, Cola, Orange peel, Lemon juice, Simple syrup