Combine ingredients in a mixing glass or cocktail shaker. Strain over a rocks glass filled with ice and garnish with the orange peel.
I first had this as a Dealer's Choice with Cynar substituted for the Averna. Equally as delicious as the original recipe, which I go back for every New Orleans trip.
From other users
- Tasty, sophisticated. End of the finish is a bit like numbing sore-throat spray (in a good way?!).
- Smooth, but with a bite. Don't skimp on the ice.
- Midnight in Manhattan — Rye, Sweet vermouth, Averna, Bitters
- Sabotta Dusk — Rye, Sweet vermouth, Cognac, Averna, Bitters
- Patent Pending — Rye, Meletti Amaro, Sweet vermouth, Bitters
- Black Betty Variant (Christopher Buecheler) — Rye, Bonal Gentiane Quina, Ramazzotti, Pastis, Orange peel
- Grounds for Separation — Bourbon, Sweet vermouth, Averna, Aperol, Bitters
- McClellan's Curse — Rye, Sweet vermouth, Absinthe, Bitters, Allspice Dram
- All Good Things — Rye, Sweet vermouth, Añejo rum, Peychaud's Bitters, Herbal liqueur, Fernet Branca
- The Lux — Rye, Averna, Maraschino Liqueur, Orange peel
- Heathen VC — Rye, Sweet vermouth, Armagnac, Bitters, Triple sec, Absinthe
- The Lorelei — Rye, Sweet vermouth, Cinnamon Schnapps liqueur, Orange bitters