Cardamaro is digestif amaro from Piedmonte, Italy. It is wine based, and flavored with the cardoon, a relative of the artichoke, and blessed thistle among other herbs and spices. It is light brown, and 34 proof, which is low for typical amari.
Because it is wine based, Cardamaro has the oxidative tones in common with sweet vermouth and Madeira.
Some popular cocktails containing Cardamaro
- Sissy's Bane — Cardamaro, Bourbon, Brandy, Lemon juice
- Honey & Thistle — Cardamaro, Aromatized wine, Amaro Sibilla, Tonic water, Orange peel
- Black Manhattan (Cardamaro variation) — Rye, Cardamaro, Cardamom bitters, Smoked Tea Vanilla syrup
- Runaway Horses — Apple brandy, Cardamaro, Amaro, Grapefruit peel
- The Kid with the Replaceable Head — Genever, Cardamaro, Sweet vermouth, Maraschino Liqueur, Absinthe, Lemon peel
- The Elves and their Antics — Genever, Cardamaro, Amer Picon, Bénédictine, Orange peel
- Midnight to Midnight — Cardamaro, Genever, Batavia Arrack, Bénédictine, Bitters, Orange peel
- The Hearing Trumpet — Scotch, Cardamaro, Swedish Punsch, Campari, Bitters, Orange peel
- Wooden Shoe — Cardamaro, Genever, Apple brandy, Bénédictine, Herbal liqueur, Peychaud's Bitters, Lemon peel
- The Goblins Turn to Stone — Genever, Cardamaro, Cynar, Curaçao, Orange peel