Cardamaro is digestif amaro from Piedmonte, Italy. It is wine based, and flavored with the cardoon, a relative of the artichoke, and blessed thistle among other herbs and spices. It is light brown, and 34 proof, which is low for typical amari.
Because it is wine based, Cardamaro has the oxidative tones in common with sweet vermouth and Madeira.
Some popular cocktails containing Cardamaro
- Sissy's Bane — Cardamaro, Bourbon, Brandy, Lemon juice
- Honey & Thistle — Cardamaro, Aromatized wine, Amaro Sibilla, Tonic water, Orange peel
- Runaway Horses — Apple brandy, Cardamaro, Amaro, Grapefruit peel
- Black Manhattan (Cardamaro variation) — Rye, Cardamaro, Cardamom bitters, Smoked Tea Vanilla syrup
- The Hearing Trumpet — Scotch, Cardamaro, Swedish Punsch, Campari, Bitters, Orange peel
- Moko Jumbie — Jamaican rum, Cardamaro, Absinthe, Pineapple syrup, Lime juice
- The Kid with the Replaceable Head — Genever, Cardamaro, Sweet vermouth, Maraschino Liqueur, Absinthe, Lemon peel
- Wooden Shoe — Cardamaro, Genever, Apple brandy, Bénédictine, Herbal liqueur, Peychaud's Bitters, Lemon peel
- Miles to Go Before I Sleep — Bourbon, Apple brandy, Cardamaro, Bitters, Herbal liqueur, Maple syrup, Orange peel
- The End of Summer — Apple brandy, Rye, Cardamaro, Pear liqueur