Cardamaro is digestif amaro from Piedmonte, Italy. It is wine based, and flavored with the cardoon, a relative of the artichoke, and blessed thistle among other herbs and spices. It is light brown, and 34 proof, which is low for typical amari.
Because it is wine based, Cardamaro has the oxidative tones in common with sweet vermouth and Madeira.
Some popular cocktails containing Cardamaro
- Black Manhattan (Cardamaro variation) — Rye, Cardamaro, Cardamom bitters, Smoked Tea Vanilla syrup
- Midnight Mass — Rum, Cardamaro, Bénédictine, Bitters, Orange peel
- The Weight — Irish whiskey, Cardamaro, Luxardo Bitter
- Sacrilege — Irish whiskey, Cardamaro, Sweet vermouth, Lemon juice, Honey syrup
- Interpol — Cardamaro, Gin, Lemon juice, Simple syrup