Old Monk is an añejo rum from India. It has a very sweet molasses / burnt caramel sweet nose, but not much sweetness on the tongue. It is a blend of different rums that are aged for seven years, and bottled at almost 86 proof.
There is an older version of Old Monk called Gold Reserve that is twelve years old.
Some popular cocktails containing Old Monk
- Vow of Silence (Sichuan Garden II) — Indian Rum, Sweet vermouth, Aromatized wine, Bitters, Orange peel
- Calico Jack (The Independent) — Becherovka, Indian Rum, Cherry Liqueur, Sweet vermouth, Orange peel
- 1919 — Sweet vermouth, Rum, Rye, Bénédictine, Bitters
- Kroni Berry Flip — Rum, Cassis, Bitters, Whole egg, Lime juice
- Old Man Winter — Indian Rum, Bourbon, Pedro Ximénez Sherry, Bitters, Santa Maria al Monte