Rhum Agricole is a type of rum made in the French speaking Caribbean from sugar cane juice, distilled to around 140 proof. The French government protects the production methods of rhum agricole, with words like "Vieux" (old) being aged for three years.
Martinique is unique as they have applied for Appelation d'Origene Controlee (AOC) status for their rhums.
While rhum agricole can be made in every style, they tend to be the most flowery and delicate of all the types of rum, with a funky, estery overtone. They also tend to be more expensive than rums made from molasses or cane syrup.
Some popular cocktails containing Rhum Agricole
- Crazed Fruit — Rhum Agricole, Ramazzotti, Bianco Vermouth, Grapefruit bitters, Peychaud's Bitters, Orange peel
- Juke Cup — Falernum, Rhum Agricole, Ginger beer, Lime juice, Honey syrup, Pineapple, Cucumber
- Dernier Mot — Maraschino Liqueur, Herbal liqueur, Rhum Agricole, Lime juice
- City Bird — Rhum Agricole, Campari, Prosecco, Lemon juice, Lemon peel, Triplum
- Haïtiki Grenadia — Rhum Agricole, Poire William, Licor 43, Pimento bitters, Passion fruit puree, Lime juice, Simple syrup