Rhum Agricole is a type of rum made in the French speaking Caribbean from sugar cane juice, distilled to around 140 proof. The French government protects the production methods of rhum agricole, with words like "Vieux" (old) being aged for three years.
Martinique is unique as they have applied for Appelation d'Origene Controlee (AOC) status for their rhums.
While rhum agricole can be made in every style, they tend to be the most flowery and delicate of all the types of rum, with a funky, estery overtone. They also tend to be more expensive than rums made from molasses or cane syrup.
Some popular cocktails containing Rhum Agricole
- Juke Cup — Falernum, Rhum Agricole, Ginger beer, Lime juice, Honey syrup, Pineapple, Cucumber
- City Bird — Rhum Agricole, Campari, Prosecco, Lemon juice, Lemon peel, Triplum
- Jakarta Mai Tai — Batavia Arrack, Rhum Agricole, Curaçao, Curry leaf, Lime juice, Simple syrup, Salt, Lime peel
- Crazed Fruit — Rhum Agricole, Ramazzotti, Bianco Vermouth, Grapefruit bitters, Peychaud's Bitters, Orange peel
- Dernier Mot — Maraschino Liqueur, Herbal liqueur, Rhum Agricole, Lime juice