Rhum Agricole is a type of [ingredient=rum rum] made in the French speaking Caribbean from sugar cane juice, distilled to around 140 proof. The French government protects the production methods of rhum agricole, with words like "Vieux" (old) being aged for three years.
Martinique is unique as they have applied for Appelation d'Origene Controlee (AOC) status for their rhums.
While rhum agricole can be made in every style, they tend to be the most flowery and delicate of all the types of rum, with a funky, estery overtone. They also tend to be more expensive than rums made from molasses or cane syrup.
Some popular cocktails containing Rhum Agricole
- Jakarta Mai Tai — Batavia Arrack, Rhum Agricole, Curaçao, Lime juice, Simple syrup, Salt, Lime peel, Curry leaf
- Badaiquiri — Dark rum, Rhum Agricole, Light rum, Herbal liqueur, Banana, Ice, Lime juice, Simple syrup
- Golden Dahlia — Rhum Agricole, Amaro Cora, Chocolate bitters
- The Peace Cocktail — Rhum Agricole, Amaro, Bonal Gentiane Quina
- Juke Cup — Falernum, Rhum Agricole, Ginger beer, Lime juice, Honey syrup, Cucumber, Pineapple
- Miracles Take Longer — Rhum Agricole, Mezcal, Bitters, Maple syrup, Lime juice
- Mai Tai (Trader Vic's) — Jamaican rum, Rhum Agricole, Curaçao, Lime juice, Orgeat, Simple syrup, Mint
- Koko B. Ware — Rum, Rhum Agricole, Bitters, Lime juice, Orgeat, Vanilla syrup, Heavy cream, Nutmeg
- Daiquiri (Simo) — Demerara Rum, Rhum Agricole, Overproof rum, Lime juice, Cane syrup
- Cuban Anole — Rhum Agricole, Jamaican rum, Barbados Rum, Lime juice, Orgeat, Cinnamon syrup, Cinnamon