Rittenhouse is a brand of rye whiskey made by the Heaven Hill distillery in Bardstown, Kentucky. Rittenhouse is a Pennsylvania style rye whiskey, which is richer and more full bodied than the Maryland style.
Rye whiskeys must be made from at least 51% rye, a grain related to wheat.
The standard bottling of Rittenhouse rye is 80 proof, but a 100 proof version is available for a few dollars more.
Rittenhouse 100 is also referred to as "Bottled in Bond", an old term that dates back to the Bottled in Bond Act of 1897. This Act required a few things:spirits thus made are the made from one distillation season by one distiller at one distillery, and must be aged in a Federally approved warehouse.
Some popular cocktails containing Rittenhouse 100
- Rye-Tai — Rye, Triple sec, Lime juice, Orgeat, Lime
- Malicious Mischief — Rye, Gran Classico, Bitters, Rose vermouth, Grapefruit peel
- Trinidad Sour — Bitters, Rye, Orgeat, Lemon juice
- Double Fill-Up — Rye, Lemon juice, Simple syrup, Pomegranate molasses, Mint
- Jackson Ward — Rye, Amaro Nardini, Sweet vermouth, Wormwood bitters, Orange bitters, Lemon peel
- Cancún Sazerac — Rye, Xtabentun, Peychaud's Bitters
- Bitter Chocolatier — Rye, Campari, Amaro, Sweet vermouth, Crème de Cacao, Bitters, Orange peel
- Doctored Pepper — Rye, Amaretto, Egg white, Lemon juice, Cola syrup
- Brave Bootlegger — Rye, Mozart Black, Fernet Branca
- Coconut Revolution — Rye, Cynar 70, Coconut liqueur, Sweet vermouth, Bitters, Orange peel