Rittenhouse is a brand of rye whiskey made by the Heaven Hill distillery in Bardstown, Kentucky. Rittenhouse is a Pennsylvania style rye whiskey, which is richer and more full bodied than the Maryland style.
Rye whiskeys must be made from at least 51% rye, a grain related to wheat.
The standard bottling of Rittenhouse rye is 80 proof, but a 100 proof version is available for a few dollars more.
Rittenhouse 100 is also referred to as "Bottled in Bond", an old term that dates back to the Bottled in Bond Act of 1897. This Act required a few things:spirits thus made are the made from one distillation season by one distiller at one distillery, and must be aged in a Federally approved warehouse.
Some popular cocktails containing Rittenhouse 100
- Malicious Mischief — Rye, Gran Classico, Bitters, Rose vermouth, Grapefruit peel
- Summer in Manhattan — Rye, Amaro, Dry vermouth, Aromatized wine, Bitters, Lemon peel
- Double Fill-Up — Rye, Lemon juice, Simple syrup, Pomegranate molasses, Mint
- Rye-Tai — Rye, Triple sec, Lime juice, Orgeat, Lime
- Trinidad Sour — Bitters, Rye, Orgeat, Lemon juice
- Bitter Raisin — Rye, Cognac, Cynar, Bonal Gentiane Quina, Gran Classico, Raisins, Orange peel
- Sharpie Mustache — Amaro Meletti, Bonal Gentiane Quina, Gin, Rye, Bitters, Orange peel
- Doctored Pepper — Rye, Amaretto, Egg white, Lemon juice, Cola syrup
- Cancún Sazerac — Rye, Xtabentun, Peychaud's Bitters
- Brave Bootlegger — Rye, Mozart Black, Fernet Branca