Root is a brand of liqueur made by Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction, a Philadelphia-based artist collective. Root is meant to mimic the flavor profile of pre-Prohibition root teas, which were the forerunner to today's root beer.
Root is organic and made from a distilled cane sugar base, flavored with birch bark, smoked black tea, orange and lemon peels, "sassafras essence" (as the FDA has banned the use of sassafras root of which the active chemical, safrole, may be a liver carcinogen), allspice, anise, cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, and nutmeg.
Root is amber-brown in color and clear. It smells and tastes strongly of root beer, and is only moderately sweet. Root is 80 proof.
Some popular cocktails containing Root liqueur
- Black Scott — Scotch, Root liqueur, Blackstrap Bitters, Club soda, Grade A dark amber maple syrup, Cinnamon stick
- Señor Staypuff — Light rum, Root liqueur, Demerara Rum, Allspice Dram, Bitters, Half-and-half, Coffee syrup, Club soda, Marshmallow
- Allen & Wright — Rye, Root liqueur, Bitters, Cinnamon syrup, Lemon peel, Orange peel
- Swagger Rite — Añejo rum, Amaro Meletti, Tuaca, Fernet Branca, Virgin Islands Rum, Root liqueur, Orange peel
- Adirondack — Gin, Root liqueur, Blackstrap Bitters, White Birch Beer
- The Heart That You Own — Pisco, Root liqueur, Ginger liqueur, Zwack Unicum, Orange peel
- Rock'n Rye — Rye, Root liqueur, Cherry juice, Maraschino cherry
- Black Rye — Root liqueur, Rye, Bitters, Club soda, Maple syrup, Cinnamon stick
- The Reiley Ridge — Root liqueur, Elderflower liqueur, Bitters, Lime juice, Lemon juice, Club soda, Lemon
- Root Beer Barrel — Root liqueur, Jägermeister, Triple sec, Vanilla liqueur, Lemon juice