Sage (Salvia officinalis) is a low growing, perennial evergreen shrub with lavender flowers that is native to the Mediterranean. For thousands of years, sage has been used for its medicinal qualities, but it is probably best known culinarily for being essential for poultry, pork, and bread stuffings.
Sage has a gorgeous aroma - it is at the same time mysteriously musky, woody, and fern-like, with notes of menthol, white pepper and warm decay. Sage should be used sparingly as it can overpower dishes (or cocktails), but a brief roll of the leaf gently in the fingers can help release the essential oils.
Some popular cocktails containing Sage
- Oaxacan Smash — Tequila, Mezcal, Agave syrup, Lime, Sage
- The Soothsayer — Bourbon, Allspice Dram, Maple syrup, Meyer lemon juice, Sage, Nutmeg
- Lush Life — Rye, Genepy, Falernum, Lemon juice, Sage
- Pig's Punch — Rye, Bénédictine, Orange bitters, Apple cider, Lemon juice, Simple syrup, Sage
- Smoke on the Beach (Jim Kearns) — Blanco tequila, Mezcal, Herbal liqueur, Pineapple juice, Lime juice, Cane syrup, Sage, Black pepper
- Marquee Cocktail — Gin, Aperol, Lemon juice, Simple syrup, Sage, Salt
- Pink Flag — Gin, Crème Yvette, Lemon juice, Pineapple juice, Orgeat, Sage
- Pinche Chivo — Blanco tequila, Dry vermouth, Lime juice, Honey, Sage, Cucumber
- Stranger Thing — Jamaican rum, Gran Classico, Cognac VSOP, Herbal liqueur, Dry vermouth, Lavender bitters, Sage, Orange flower water
- Wisdom Cocktail — Bourbon, Cynar, Elisir M. P. Roux, Lime juice, Sage