Smith & Cross is a brand of Jamaican rum made at the Hampden Estate and imported by Haus Alpenz. Eric Seed of Haus Alpenz sought to recreate early 20th century Jamaican rums. With help from David Wondrich and Audrey Saunders (owner of Pegu Club), he created a minimally aged, high-ester old style pot still rum that in a few short years has become indispensable to lovers of the Jamaican style and a must have for cocktail enthusiasts.
Smith & Cross is made from about equal parts Wedderburn and Plummer type distillates -- these are not still types, but rather a measure of the amount of esters in the finished product. Plummer rums are between 150 and 200 and Wedderburn distillates are over 200, where most rums fall in the 30-50 range. The Wedderburn is aged for less than a year, and the Plummer component is aged for between 18 and 36 months in white oak barrels.
Smith & Cross is a bright yellow-gold color and clear. It has a delicious savory aroma much like Bananas Foster. It is round and full in the mouth, with deep spice notes, a honeyed sweetness in the midpalate, and a lingering tropical fruit finish. Smith & Cross is bottles at 100 English proof (114 in the United States).
Some popular cocktails containing Smith & Cross
- Piña Colada (Beer) — Stout, Demerara Rum, Jamaican rum, Coconut cream, Pineapple juice, Mint
- November Witch — Rum, Rooibos tea, Whipped cream, Rich demerara syrup 2:1
- The Notorious F.L.I.P. — Jamaican rum, Bonal Gentiane Quina, Amaro Nardini, Whole egg, Demerara syrup, Nutmeg
- Angostura Colada — Bitters, Rum, Pineapple juice, Coconut cream, Lime juice, Orange, Pineapple, Nutmeg
- Handcuffed Lightning — Jamaican rum, Cognac, Sweet vermouth, Swedish Punsch, Apricot liqueur, Bitters, Orange peel
- Rocksteady — Ginger liqueur, Rum, Allspice Dram, Bitters, Lime juice, Cinnamon syrup, Hellfire Habanero Shrub, Thyme
- Bitter Temptation — Rye, Sweet vermouth, Jamaican rum, Cynar, Amer Picon, Orange liqueur, Peychaud's Bitters, Bitters, Absinthe
- Privateer — Batavia Arrack, Falernum, Jamaican rum, Aromatized wine, Orange bitters, Lime juice, Nutmeg
- Havana 3 a.m. — Scotch, Jamaican rum, Swedish Punsch, Apricot liqueur, Absinthe, Lemon juice
- One Weird Trick — Jamaican rum, Campari, Becherovka, Grapefruit juice, Lime juice, Pineapple juice, Cinnamon syrup