|1 1⁄2||oz||Aquavit, Aalborg|
|1⁄2||oz||Lemon juice (clarified)|
|1⁄2||oz||Grapefruit juice (clarified)|
|1⁄2||oz||Rich simple syrup 2:1 (Light Karo Syrup (star anise & clove infused- see note))|
Add ingredients to a mixing tin and stir aggressively to dissolve the Karo syrup into the drink. Add ice and hard shake until well chilled. Strain into a chilled single martini glass (4.5oz). Garnish with a star anise pod.
Gently warm 4oz of light Karo Syrup with 1 star anise pod and 3 whole cloves for ~10 minutes, making sure to keep it below a simmer. Strain and store.
I wanted to make a cocktail using a very non-traditional and currently taboo sweetener: Karo corn syrup. The richness and salinity of the aquavit played perfectly into this drink, and the spice addition added depth; clarifying the citrus added a sharpness and a bonus being visually cleaner, and the drink ended up with a luxurious, almost glassy texture to it. Really incredible!
- Midnight Sun (Aquavit) — Aquavit, Lemon juice, Grapefruit juice, Grenadine, Sugar, Orange
- The Good Life — Aquavit, Ginger liqueur, Orange bitters, Lime juice, Demerara syrup, Orange peel
- The Kung Fu — Aquavit, Aperol, Lime juice, Orgeat
- Tigrebyn — Aquavit, Triple sec, Lime juice, Cranberry juice
- Aquavit Frappé — Aquavit, Herbal liqueur, Bitters, Elderflower liqueur, Lemon juice, Lime juice
- Litigious Rock — Aquavit, Aperol, Herbal liqueur, Lime juice
- Chicago Zephyr — Absinthe, Aquavit, Peychaud's Bitters, Orgeat, Grapefruit juice, Lemon juice