Lemon juice is the juice of a lemon, or Citrus limon, a small, evergreen tree native to Asia. Lemon juice is mainly composed of citric acid, and has a pH of around 2.3. While lemon juice has an incredible amount of culinary uses (everything from curdling milk for cream cheese to balancing out pan juices for gravy to cleaning pots and pans), it is the primary acidity used in cocktail making, as it is the most neutral of the common acidifiers (other common acid sources include limes and oranges).
Lemon juice adds a fairly neutral balance in modest amounts, but can shift the flavors of other ingredients, as in the Jasmine, where lemon juice takes the cherry flavor of Campari and makes it taste like pink grapefruit.
Some popular cocktails containing Lemon juice
- The Runaway — Bitters, Batavia Arrack, Rye, Orgeat, Lemon juice, Lemon peel
- Raspberry Merkin — Bourbon, Champagne, Raspberry syrup, Lemon juice, Basil
- Cupid's Revenge Cocktail — Brandy, Champagne, Triple sec, Pomegranate Liqueur, Maraschino Liqueur, Maraschino cherry, Lemon juice
- 3:20 in the Morning — Scotch, Apple brandy, Drambuie, Cynar, Lemon juice, Honey syrup, Lemon peel
- The Pastry War Cocktail — Reposado Tequila, Sweet vermouth, Bitters, Mace tincture, Tea, Honey syrup, Lemon juice, Nutmeg
- Drink My Blood — Rye, Campari, Aromatized wine, Blood orange syrup, Lemon juice
- Deep Breath — Light rum, Manzanilla sherry, Absinthe, White Crème de Menthe, Soda water, Pineapple juice, Lemon juice, Orgeat, Egg white, Mint
- Fish House Punch (1732) — Jamaican rum, Cognac, Peach eau de vie, Water, Lemon juice, Fine sugar
- Fleur du Mal — Pisco, Dimmi, Amaro Meletti, Lemon juice
- Kentucky Pilgrim — Bourbon, Maraschino Liqueur, Lemon juice, Demerara syrup, Lemon peel