Lemon juice is the juice of a lemon, or Citrus limon, a small, evergreen tree native to Asia. Lemon juice is mainly composed of citric acid, and has a pH of around 2.3. While lemon juice has an incredible amount of culinary uses (everything from curdling milk for cream cheese to balancing out pan juices for gravy to cleaning pots and pans), it is the primary acidity used in cocktail making, as it is the most neutral of the common acidifiers (other common acid sources include limes and oranges).
Lemon juice adds a fairly neutral balance in modest amounts, but can shift the flavors of other ingredients, as in the Jasmine, where lemon juice takes the cherry flavor of Campari and makes it taste like pink grapefruit.
Some popular cocktails containing Lemon juice
- The Runaway — Bitters, Batavia Arrack, Rye, Orgeat, Lemon juice, Lemon peel
- Pantone — Bourbon, Triple sec, Kummel, Lemon juice, Beet juice, Ginger syrup, Salt Solution
- Laetare Fizz — Amaro Montenegro, Gin, Aromatized wine, Cassis, Peychaud's Bitters, Blood Orange Juice, Egg white, Passion fruit puree, Heavy cream, Lemon juice
- Bahama Mama A Moi — Dark rum, Coffee liqueur, Coconut liqueur, Overproof rum, Vanilla liqueur, Bitters, Pineapple juice, Lemon juice, Grenadine, Pineapple
- First Rodeo — Gin, Bianco Vermouth, Peychaud's Bitters, Grapefruit juice, Soda water, Simple syrup, Lemon juice, Orange peel
- Nine Twenty Nine — Gin, Bitters, Lemon juice, Lemon syrup, Egg white, Vanilla extract
- Safety Dance — Dry vermouth, Bianco Vermouth, Soda water, Lemon juice, Tea syrup, Lemon peel
- Orchard Slope — Apple brandy, Allspice Dram, Bitters, Lemon juice, Cinnamon syrup
- Bison Drop — Bison grass vodka, Elderflower liqueur, Orange bitters, Lemon juice, Honey syrup, Lemon
- Harvest Time — Light rum, Pumpkin liqueur, Drambuie, Lemon juice