My entry into the Hendrick's Beantown Bartender Battle in 2008. I had only been mixing for 2 years.
|1 1⁄2||oz||Gin (Hendrick's was what I used)|
|1||twst||Lemon peel (As garnish)|
Stir with ice, strain into a cocktail glass, and garnish with a lemon twist.
Slightly modified from the original 12 years ago by increasing the Lillet by 1/4 oz (to make the drink a perfect 3 oz) and swapping the volumes of Picon and kümmel.
My submission for the Hendrick's Beantown Bartender Battle in 2008 which was my first cocktail contest. The concept was to use 6 ingredients or less with a highlight on one of the 13 botanicals used in Hendrick’s. The botanical that I spotlighted was caraway seed via the liqueur kümmel. I wrote, "Given that Kümmel originated in the Netherlands, I named the cocktail after a famous Dutch scientist who invented the microscope -- after a few hours straight of using one of those, my mind definitely needs a drink…". Alas, I my recipe was not chosen to compete which meant that I did not have to finish writing my limerick to recite while making the drink on stage at Green Street for the judges. That day, I also learned that Dutch cocktail names that you can't spell or pronounce easily ought to be avoided.
- White Negroni — Gin, Aromatized wine, Suze
- Kina Cocktail — Gin, Sweet vermouth, Aromatized wine
- Mayan French Piccadilly — Gin, Aromatized wine, Xtabentun, Bitters, Peychaud's Bitters, Orange bitters
- Bijou Bohème — Gin, Dry vermouth, Herbal liqueur, Elderflower liqueur, Orange bitters, Brandied cherry
- Death's Door Cocktail — Gin, Aromatized wine, Averna, Cassis
- The Eyrie — Gin, Dry vermouth, Eau de vie of Douglas Fir, Herbal liqueur, Grapefruit bitters, Grapefruit peel
- Ellen's Folly — Gin, Bianco Vermouth, Cynar, Grapefruit bitters, Meyer lemon juice, Honey syrup, Grapefruit peel
- Heather in Queue — Gin, Bianco Vermouth, Orange liqueur, Fernet Branca
- Puritan Cocktail — Gin, Dry vermouth, Herbal liqueur, Orange bitters
- Savoir Faire — Gin, Dry vermouth, Herbal liqueur, Bénédictine, Orange bitters, Orange peel