Sweet, and just a little bitter.
|1⁄2||oz||Vodka (Chile-infused (for at least a month, strong heat))|
|5||dr||Bitters, Bitter Truth Jerry Thomas’ Own Decanter (I haven't tried substitutions, but orange bitters could work)|
|1 3⁄8||oz||Tonic water (The flatter the better!)|
Stir briefly in a bar glass to release some gas from the tonic, then shake (carefully and quite slowly as the remaining gas will still try to open your shaker). No garnish. Serve straight up in a frozen small tumbler.
Bitters: I used Jerry Thomas' Own Decanter bitters from The Bitter Truth - haven't tried substitutions, but I can see orange bitters working. Chile-infused vodka: mine included a chipotle among the various varieties I added (including dried New Mexico Red, dried Piquillo and fresh 'Demon Red'), and this added a very slight smoky note that fitted very well with my idea for the cocktail.
Invented as an experiment for the first use of a batch of chile-infused vodka. I was attempting to capture some of the sensory pleasures of a recent visit to Istanbul (from where the Raki was obtained), hence the name.
- Studio One — Light rum, Bitters, Soda water, Tonic water syrup, Demerara syrup, Lime
- La Primavera nella Campagna — Vodka, Pear eau de vie, Galliano, Rhubarb bitters, Club soda, Meyer lemon juice, Meyer lemon zest, Rhubarb, Tarragon
- Ginger Pear Thing — Light rum, Dark rum, Ginger liqueur, Pear liqueur, Seltzer water
- Soda Jerk — Tequila, Campari, Cola, Egg white, Passion fruit puree, Vanilla syrup, Lime juice, Lime peel
- Black Rye — Root liqueur, Rye, Bitters, Club soda, Maple syrup, Cinnamon stick
- Stormy Bright — Jamaican rum, Ginger liqueur, Bitters, Soda water, Lime juice, Simple syrup
- Finnish Sky — Vodka, Light rum, White Crème de Cacao, Blue Curaçao, White Crème de Menthe, Soda water
- Chet Helms — Pisco, Campari, Sweet vermouth, Rhubarb bitters, Soda water, Lemon juice, Mint, Orange
- Spicy Bison / Bisonte Picante — Bison grass vodka, Reposado Tequila, Ginger liqueur, Bitters, Soda water, Grapefruit juice
- Pimm's Italiano — Pimm's No. 1 Cup, Fernet Branca, Ginger ale, Mint, Lemon, Cucumber