Tonic water is a quinine-based bitter-sweet soft drink / mixer. Premium brands include Q Tonic and Fever Tree. Mainstream brands tend to be sweeter, although the Whole Foods 365 brand may than others.
A tonic syrup may be made and combined à la minute with seltzer or soda water, allowing control of the intensity and flavors of the tonic water, as well as the sweetness.
Tonic Syrup Recipes include:
Some popular cocktails containing Tonic water
- Pixie Fingers — Gin, Tonic water, Lemon juice, Lime juice, Agave syrup, Rosemary, Lemon
- Coffee and Tonic — Bergamot liqueur, Tonic water, Coffee
- Honey & Thistle — Cardamaro, Aromatized wine, Amaro Sibilla, Tonic water, Orange peel
- Fireworks — Gin, Bitters, Tonic water, Hellfire Habanero Shrub, Grenadine
- Cosmopolitan Milk Punch — Vodka, Tawny port, Triple sec, Tonic water, Cranberry juice, Milk, Lime juice, Sugar, Star anise, Bay leaf, Clove, Pomegranate molasses, Orange peel, Grapefruit peel, Cardamom
- Suze in Paradise — Suze, Tonic water, PInk grapefruit juice, Creme de Framboise
- Earl of Lavender — Gin, Bergamot liqueur, Bitters, Tonic water, Simple syrup, Lime juice
- Suze Tonic — Suze, Bitters, Tonic water, Lemon juice, Lemon
- Gin & Tonic — Gin, Tonic water, Lime
- Old Spanish — Manzanilla sherry, Cynar, Cassis, Tonic water, Olive, Orange