Tonic water is a quinine-based bitter-sweet soft drink / mixer. Premium brands include Q Tonic and Fever Tree. Mainstream brands tend to be sweeter, although the Whole Foods 365 brand may than others.
A tonic syrup may be made and combined à la minute with seltzer or soda water, allowing control of the intensity and flavors of the tonic water, as well as the sweetness.
Tonic Syrup Recipes include:
Some popular cocktails containing Tonic water
- 131 — Gin, Herbal liqueur, Peychaud's Bitters, Tonic water, Club soda, Lime juice, Simple syrup, Mint
- Omi and Opa — Gin, Campari, Tonic water, Lime juice
- Mr. Baily's Bender — Ginger liqueur, Maraschino Liqueur, Campari, Rhubarb bitters, Tonic water, Lime juice
- Frosun — Gin, Aperol, Tonic water, Lime juice
- Red Red Rhubarb Shrub Cocktail — Gin, Rhubarb Shrub, Tonic water, Lime juice, Mint