Spicy rye and sweet cherry...a reliable combination!
|2||oz||Rye, Wild Turkey 101|
|3⁄4||oz||Maraschino Liqueur, Luxardo|
|3||dr||Bitters, Bittercube Cherry Bark Vanilla|
|1||Brandied cherry (as garnish)|
Combine all ingredients in mixing glass, add ice and stir, strain over ice in double rocks glass, garnish with home-made brandied cherry.
Cherry is predominant nose, rye leads in the taste, followed by dry and dark cherry. The vanilla of the bitters ties everything together.
My modification of The Steadfast cocktail, which I encountered on the "Crepes of Wrath" website and is credited to Food Network star Ted Allen. I felt that the original bourbon-based recipe would be too sweet and decided to replace it with a spicy rye and reduce the maraschino. I approve!
From other users
- Doesn't really come together - the spiciness of the Rye with the spiciness of the Bittercube bitters seems a bit in conflict, and somehow this underscores the funkiness of the large amount of Maraschino.
- Dropped the Maraschino to 1/2 oz, and bumped the cherry bark bitters to 6 drops. That balanced out the sweet/spicy notes more to my liking, was like a cherry old fashioned.
- Blush Response — Bourbon, Crème Yvette, Maraschino Liqueur, Peychaud's Bitters, Strawberry, Nectarine
- Old City — Rye, Bigallet China-China, Sweet vermouth, Maraschino Liqueur, Peychaud's Bitters, Brandied cherry
- Fire Cherry Cocktail — Bourbon, Maraschino Liqueur, Campari, Port, Bitters, Brandied cherry
- Eyetalian Cocktail — Rye, Maraschino Liqueur, Cynar, Cherry Liqueur, Sweet vermouth, Cherry, Blood orange peel
- The Perfect BQE — Rye, Maraschino Liqueur, Dry vermouth, Sweet vermouth, Herbal liqueur, Brandied cherry
- Inside Job — Bourbon, Maraschino Liqueur, Absinthe, Bitters, Cherry, Simple syrup, Orange peel
- Meat Hook — Rye, Sweet vermouth, Islay Scotch, Maraschino Liqueur, Brandied cherry
- Manhattan — Rye, Sweet vermouth, Bitters, Cherry
- Caruso Cocktail (via Eric Felton) — Cognac, Sweet vermouth, Bénédictine, Bitters, Cherry
- Cubed Old Fashioned — Cognac, Rum, Rye, Bitters, Orange bitters, Brandied cherry, Simple syrup, Orange peel