Agave syrup is the cooked down juice of the agave, a genus of spiny, perennial plants native to Mexico. It is a more reduced, thicker and sweeter version of agave nectar. Agave syrup is moderately sweet, and can be used in place of honey.
Agave nectar is not as sweet as honey, with a delicate, floral-vegetal overtone. It lacks the midpalate breadth that honey has, and has a short finish so that it seems more transparent. It can be substituted easily for simple syrup in most applications.
Some popular cocktails containing Agave syrup
- CINCO DE MAYO — Tequila, Crème de Fraise, Aromatized wine, Mezcal, Lemon juice, Agave syrup, Red Bell Pepper, Raspberry
- Arrackiri — Batavia Arrack, Herbal liqueur, Mezcal, Lime juice, Agave syrup, Bird's eye chile tincture, Cucumber
- After Eight — Fernet Branca, Becherovka, Bitters, Chocolate liqueur, Egg white, Agave syrup, Cocoa powder
- Satsuma Margarita — Tequila, Triple sec, Satsuma juice, Lime juice, Agave syrup
- Oaxacan Smash — Tequila, Mezcal, Agave syrup, Lime, Sage
- Beetox Margarita — Tequila, Beet Puree, Lime juice, Agave syrup
- Pixie Fingers — Gin, Tonic water, Lemon juice, Lime juice, Agave syrup, Rosemary, Lemon
- La guêpe verte — Tequila, Lime juice, Agave syrup, Coriander, Cucumber
- Smoke Gets in Your Agav-eyes — Tequila, Mezcal, Falernum, Orange bitters, Herbal liqueur, Lime juice, Agave syrup, Orange peel
- Fernet Flip-out — Fernet Branca, Mezcal, Walnut Liqueur, Bitters, Peychaud's Bitters, Espresso, Whole egg, Agave syrup, Orange peel