The blueberry (Vaccinium genus) is a large group of flowering shrubs that produce marble-sized bluish-purple fruit with a "crown" on the end opposite the stem. The blueberry is native to America, Europe and Asia, but has been cultivated in Australia and China.
Blueberries are divided commercially into "lowbush" or "wild" types and "highbush" types. Lowbush varieties typically give smaller fruit with more complex flavors and darker color. Highbush varieties are easier to cultivate and harvest, so they dominate new plantings. The prime blueberry season in North America is between May and the end of summer.
The flavor of blueberries can vary widely depending on the cultivar and where the shrub is grown. Most blueberries are sweet-tart and juicy, with a flavor reminiscent of plum and lemon. Blueberries are high in anthocyanins and resveratrol, two potent antioxidant chemicals.
Blueberries should not be confused with bilberries (Vaccinium myrtillus and related species), which are difficult to domesticate, are nearly black, and highly acidic, with a much more complex flavor than blueberries. Bilberries are typically found in Northern Europe.
Some popular cocktails containing Blueberry
- Lady Sansa — Gin, Bitters, Blueberry, Lemon juice, Honey
- Beach & Panorama — Gin, White chocolate liqueur, Herbal liqueur, Falernum, Bitters, Blueberry, Lime juice, Mint
- Blueberry Sour — Vodka, Jasmine Liqueur, Blueberry, Egg white, Lemon juice, Honey syrup
- You're My Boy Blue — Bourbon, Elderflower liqueur, Lemon juice, Simple syrup, Lemon peel, Blueberry
- Bluebeard — Gin, Aquavit, Pineapple juice, Agave syrup, Lime juice, Mint, Blueberry
- Blue Monday — Lemon vodka, Gran Classico, Blueberry, Simple syrup, Lemon juice
- Blue Sky Summer — Rhubarb liqueur, Bitters, Blueberry, Simple syrup, Ginger beer, Lemon
- Hit and Run — Blended Scotch, Port, Allspice Dram, Blueberry, Orgeat, Lemon juice, Cinnamon syrup
- Maine Mule — Vodka, Ginger beer, Blueberry, Simple syrup, Lemon
- Perpetual Motion Machine — India Pale Ale, Gin, Blueberry, Lemon juice, Simple syrup