Coco López is a producer of coconut products, namely coconut milk, cream of coconut (sweetened coconut milk), and cocktail mixers. The company was founded in 1954 by Don Ramon Lopez Irizarry, who worked at the University of Puerto Rico.
Coco López Cream of Coconut is an integral part of the modern Piña Colada. Before 1954, the drink either contained no coconut at all (e.g. Travel Magazine in 1922 claiming it contained lime, rum, sugar and fresh pineapple juice) or coconut milk (e.g. the New York Times in 1950 called the Piña Colada rum, pineapple, and coconut milk).
Some popular cocktails containing Coco López
- Christmas Island — Jamaican rum, Falernum, Bitters, Coconut cream, Don's Mix, Lime juice
- Painless (Skinny Legs, compare to Painkiller) — Dark rum, Jamaican rum, Orange juice, Pineapple juice, Coconut cream, Nutmeg
- Piña Colada — Dark rum, Pineapple juice, Coconut cream, Maraschino cherry, Pineapple
- Frozen Piña Colada — Dark rum, Ice, Pineapple juice, Coconut cream, Maraschino cherry, Pineapple
- Painkiller — Rum, Pineapple juice, Orange juice, Coconut cream, Nutmeg