Crème de Menthe is a mint flavored creme liqueur. Crème liqueurs (not to be confused with cream liqueurs, made with a spirit base, cream, and flavorings) are so named due to their very high level of sugar, which provide a texture like cream.
There are many crème liqueur flavors, but all of them are syrupy in texture and low in alcohol, around 30 proof. Crème de menthe comes in two colors: green and white (which is clear). Bols, Hiram Walker, and deKuyper are some producers of crème de menthe.
Some popular cocktails containing Crème de Menthe
- Absinthe Frappe (Jamie Boudreau) — Absinthe, Dimmi, Crème de Menthe, Simple syrup, Mint
- Marie Byrd — Gin, Bianco Vermouth, Crème de Menthe, Wormwood bitters, Herbal liqueur, Sage, Grapefruit peel
- Polar Bear — Mezcal, Bianco Vermouth, Crème de Menthe, Angelica tincture
- Absinthe Colada — Absinthe, Martinique Rum, Crème de Menthe, Pineapple juice, Coconut syrup, Mint
- Caruso #1 — Gin, Dry vermouth, Crème de Menthe