Demerara syrup is a simple syrup made with demerara sugar. To make demerara syrup, take equal parts demerara sugar and water, combine them in a saucepan, bring the liquid to a boil, and cook for two minutes. Let the syrup cool, add a bit of vodka to preserve the syrup, then filter into a bottle. Demerara syrup that has been preserved with vodka will last for a few weeks in the refrigerator.
Some popular cocktails containing Demerara syrup
- Nimble Penny — Gin, Kummel, Celery bitters, Soda water, Lemon juice, Lime juice, Demerara syrup, Lemon peel
- Peg Leg — Rum, Grapefruit bitters, Grapefruit peel, Lime juice, Simple syrup, Demerara syrup
- End of Days — India Pale Ale, Blanco tequila, Campari, Lime juice, Demerara syrup
- Pusherman — Blanco tequila, Herbal liqueur, Bitters, Club soda, Egg white, Lemon juice, Pineapple juice, Demerara syrup
- Alpine Bird — Demerara Rum, Braulio, Pineapple juice, Demerara syrup, Lime juice