El Dorado is a brand of Demerara [ingredient=rum rum] made at the Diamond Distillery in Guyana, and owned by DDL (Demerara Distillers, Limited). Rum has been produced in Guyana since the middle of the 17th century, with each sugar plantation having its own still to produce rum. Over the centuries, as distillers closed and consolidated, DDL has collected these stills and uses them today to produce distinctive styles of rum.
The important thing to understand about all Guyanese rum is that DDL is the only distiller still producing. While they have preserved the rich heritage of the different sugar estates and their stills (each of which was identified by a marque), each different bottling of El Dorado rum is blended from different stills -- the age statement on the front is not the only difference between the bottlings!
El Dorado 5 is made from fermented molasses, and aged for at least five years in used Bourbon barrels. It is a blend of rums from the Enmore wooden Coffey (column) still (EHP) and the Uitvlugt Savalle column still (ICBU). El Dorado 5 is medium amber-gold and clear. The aroma and palate are driven by burnt sugar, caramelized nuts and dried fruit notes. El Dorado 5 is bottled at 80 proof.
El Dorado 8 is a UK export only -- it is not currently available in the United States. El Dorado 8 is made from fermented molasses, and aged for at least eight years in used Bourbon barrels. It is a blend of rums from the Enmore wooden Coffey (column) still (EHP) and the double wooden Pot still from Port Mourant (AW). El Dorado 8 is bottled at 80 proof.
El Dorado 12 is made from fermented molasses, and aged for at least twelve years in used Bourbon barrels. It is a blend of rums from the Enmore wooden Coffey (column) still (EHP), the Diamond metal Coffey still (EVW), and Port Mourant double wooden Pot still (AW). El Dorado 12 is considered the "sweetie" of the line, with aromas and flavors of toffee, prune, vanilla bean, and burnt sugar. El Dorado 12 is bottled at 80 proof.
Some popular cocktails containing El Dorado 5
- Piña Colada (Beer) — Stout, Demerara Rum, Jamaican rum, Coconut cream, Pineapple juice, Mint
- GoodFella — Dark rum, Cynar, Averna, Peychaud's Bitters, Espresso syrup
- Guyana Flip — Rum, Port, Cynar, Demerara syrup, Nutmeg, Whole egg
- The Treasury Banana Daiquiri — Demerara Rum, Banana, Lime juice, Cane syrup, Vanilla Bean
- Good Ships/Wood Ships — Demerara Rum, Genepy, Grapefruit liqueur, Lime juice, Simple syrup, Grapefruit peel
- Gold Cup (Clio version) — Demerara Rum, Maraschino Liqueur, Absinthe, Lime juice, Simple syrup, Orgeat
- King Kamehameha Club — Demerara Rum, Bourbon, Elisir M. P. Roux, Orange juice, Lemon juice, Egg white, Demerara syrup, Orange peel
- Pela Paha — Märzen beer, Demerara Rum, Campari, Lime juice, Brown sugar coffee syrup, Apple
- Culross Cocktail (Teardrop Lounge) — Demerara Rum, Aromatized wine, Apricot liqueur, Lemon juice
- Sea Change — Dark rum, Demerara Rum, Pear liqueur, Chocolate bitters, Lime juice, Maple syrup