Falernum is a syrup, sometimes rum based, that is flavored with lime, clove and almond. Additional flavorings such as vanilla, ginger, allspice or nutmeg may be added.
The term "falernum" supposedly comes from the name of the ancient Roman wine "Falernian", though the two are in no ways similar.
Two brands of falernum are Fee Brothers (which is non-alcoholic) and John D. Taylor's Velvet Falernum (which is 22 proof). Falernum is fairly easy to make at home, but care should be taken to steep the lime peels for only a day or two.
Some popular cocktails containing Falernum
- Beach Life Grog — Spiced Rum, Falernum, Jamaican rum, Orange juice, Pineapple juice, Grapefruit juice
- Juke Cup — Falernum, Rhum Agricole, Ginger beer, Lime juice, Honey syrup, Cucumber, Pineapple
- Ma Cherie — Fino sherry, Herbal liqueur, Falernum, Lime juice, Pineapple Gum Syrup, Salt Solution, Celery stalk, Cucumber
- Passion Chartreuse — Herbal liqueur, Dark rum, Falernum, Bitters, Passion fruit puree, Lime juice, Ginger syrup
- Mr. Swizzle — Demerara Rum, Coffee liqueur, Falernum, Orange bitters, Lemon juice, Honey syrup, Lemon
- Summer's Rathbone — Basil eau de vie, Gin, Falernum, Lemon juice, Cucumber
- Smoking Cap — Ruby Port, Gin, Gunpowder Rum, Falernum, Orange bitters
- The Secret Is in the Telling — Rum, Falernum, Lime juice, Simple syrup
- The CooCoo Nut — Gin, Absinthe, Crème de Menthe, Falernum
- The Sicilian Conquistador — Rum, Cynar 70, Amaro, Falernum