Ginger syrup is a type of [ingredient=simple-syrup simple syrup] that has fresh ginger infused into it. Fresh ginger not only is much easier to strain from the syrup than powdered ginger, but it has a fresh, lemony heat that pairs well in cocktails. Ginger syrup can also be used as a base for homemade ginger beer.
To make ginger syrup, take 1 cup of sugar and half a cup of water and cook over medium heat for 3 minutes, until lightly syrupy. Remove from heat, and add 1/4 cup julienned fresh peeled ginger. Cover the saucepan and let steep for 20 minutes, then strain and bottle.
Some popular cocktails containing Ginger syrup
- Gin & Gruit — Ale, Gin, Grapefruit bitters, Ginger syrup, Lemon juice
- Barnes Stormer — Apple brandy, Rum, Sorel liqueur, Bitters, Soda water, Ginger syrup, Lemon juice
- Florodora (Dead Rabbit Version) — Gin, Framboise, Bitters, Ginger ale, Ginger syrup, Lime juice, Nutmeg
- Ginger Rhubarb Sour — Old Tom Gin, Rhubarb liqueur, Ginger syrup, Lemon juice
- Battering Ram — Bourbon, Oloroso sherry, Bitters, Lemon juice, Ginger syrup, Demerara syrup
- Pantone — Bourbon, Triple sec, Kummel, Lemon juice, Beet juice, Ginger syrup, Salt Solution
- Sabor de Soledad — Reposado Tequila, Pear eau de vie, Herbal liqueur, Soda water, Lime juice, Cinnamon syrup, Ginger syrup
- Grapefruit Mule — Gin, Pamplemousse Rose, Aperol, Bitters, Lime juice, Ginger syrup, Soda water, Orange peel
- Hank Scorpio — Guatemalan rum, Amaro Montenegro, Pineapple juice, Ginger syrup, Vanilla syrup, Lime juice
- Passion Chartreuse — Herbal liqueur, Dark rum, Falernum, Bitters, Passion fruit puree, Lime juice, Ginger syrup