Overproof rum is any rum with more than about 80 proof. Unfortunately the term does not specify the flavor or origin of the rum desired. Overproof rum is usually used to raise the alcohol content in an otherwise low-alcohol drink.
Most overproof rums are 151 proof, which make them great extraction mediums for homemade liqueurs. Gosling's, Wray and Nephew, Bacardi, Coruba, and Lemon Hart all make overproof rums.
Some popular cocktails containing Overproof rum
- More Heat Than Light — Ancho Reyes Ancho Chile Liqueur, Amargo-Vallet, Overproof rum, Crème de Banane, Fernet, Sweet vermouth, Coffee bitters, Orange peel
- Daiquiri (Simo) — Demerara Rum, Rhum Agricole, Overproof rum, Lime juice, Cane syrup
- Trading Partners — Overproof rum, Bitters, Absinthe, Grapefruit juice, Lime juice, Cinnamon syrup
- Rhubarb Jimjam — Rhubarb liqueur, Overproof rum, Averna, Lime juice, Orgeat
- Biff Malibu — Overproof rum, Coconut rum, Curaçao, Lime juice, Simple syrup