Pusser's is a brand of rum from the British Virgin Islands that is based on a formula from the British Admiralty.
While the history of British sailors drinking rum dates back to the middle of the 17th century, the rum they drank was not a brand name. Instead, it was doled out in tots (that were originally a pint) by the ship's purser. Over time, the word "purser" was corrupted into "Pusser". After Black Tot Day (July 31st, 1970), the British government ceased distilling rum for Navy use. In 1979, Charles Tobias bought the brand name and the formula for production from the Navy, and began to make Pusser's rum.
Pusser's bottles their rums at diffrerent proofs for different markets. There is one at 84 proof for most of the world, and one at 108 proof that is shipped to Germany, the UK, Australia, and Gibraltar. They also make a 15 year old rum, and rum mixers.
Some popular cocktails containing Pusser's
- The Shark Lady — Irish whiskey, Coconut rum, Rum, Vanilla liqueur, Peychaud's Bitters, Pimento bitters, Guava juice, Lime juice, Hibiscus syrup
- Trafalgar — Rum, Brandy, Orange liqueur, Red wine, Lime juice, Simple syrup
- Sabre — Rum, Allspice Dram, Lime cordial, Mint
- There's Always Money in the Banana Stand — Dark rum, Navy strength rum, Crème de Banane, Allspice Dram, Coconut cream, Lime juice
- Dunlop Cocktail (12 Bottle Bar) — Virgin Islands Rum, Madeira, Bitters, Lemon peel
- Painkiller — Rum, Pineapple juice, Orange juice, Coconut cream, Nutmeg
- Elision — Batavia Arrack, Virgin Islands Rum, Strega, Passion fruit syrup, Lime juice, Orange juice
- Dr. Ooops — Sweet vermouth, Rum, Orange Curaçao, Bitters
- The Navy Six — Rum, Virgin Islands Rum, Black Cardamom, Lime juice
- Inherent Vice — Virgin Islands Rum, Amarula Cream, Coffee liqueur, Pineapple juice, Nutmeg