Sombra is a brand of mezcal made in the village of San Luis del Rio, south of Oaxaca, Mexico. The Sombra company was founded by Richard Betts, a Master Sommelier, Dennis Scholl (who along with Betts owns Betts & Scholl, a wine company), and Charles Bieler.
Sombra uses the espadin variety of agave, and cookes the hearts, or piñas over a mesquite fire, imparting a strong smoky aroma and flavor to their mezcal.
Sombra is double distilled, unaged, and bottled at 80 proof.
Some popular cocktails containing Sombra
- Coffee & Cigarettes — Coffee liqueur, Cynar, Demerara Rum, Islands Scotch, Mezcal
- The Crafty and Elusive Elk — Blanco tequila, Mezcal, Falernum, Maraschino Liqueur, Orange bitters, Lime juice, Lime
- The Man Comes Around — Cynar, Brandy, Mezcal, Fernet Branca, Bitters, Mint
- It's a Dry Heat — Mezcal, Ramazzotti, Herbal liqueur, Orange peel, Hellfire Habanero Shrub
- La Otra Palabra — Mezcal, Herbal liqueur, Lime juice, Agave syrup, Maraschino cherry