Sombra is a brand of mezcal made in the village of San Luis del Rio, south of Oaxaca, Mexico. The Sombra company was founded by Richard Betts, a Master Sommelier, Dennis Scholl (who along with Betts owns Betts & Scholl, a wine company), and Charles Bieler.
Sombra uses the espadin variety of agave, and cookes the hearts, or piñas over a mesquite fire, imparting a strong smoky aroma and flavor to their mezcal.
Sombra is double distilled, unaged, and bottled at 80 proof.
Some popular cocktails containing Sombra
- A Beer And A Smoke — Lager, Mezcal, Lime juice, Hot sauce, Salt, Celery salt, Black pepper, Lime zest, Orange peel
- Smoke Signals — Amaro, Mezcal, Scotch, Añejo tequila, Lemon peel
- Jaguar God — Zucca, Mezcal, Pomegranate Liqueur, Ancho Reyes Verde chile liqueur, Grapefruit peel
- Pearl of Puebla — Mezcal, Herbal liqueur, Pastis, Lime juice, Agave syrup, Oregano
- Diablo Rojo — Amaro Abano, Mezcal, Ancho Reyes chile liqueur, Coffee liqueur, Orange peel
- Coffee & Cigarettes — Cynar, Coffee liqueur, Mezcal, Islands Scotch, Demerara Rum
- The Man Comes Around — Cynar, Mezcal, Brandy, Fernet Branca, Bitters, Mint
- Jerk Store — Mezcal, Pineapple rum, Apricot liqueur, Bitters, Lemon juice, Egg white, Cinnamon syrup
- Ashes in Our Mouth — Mezcal, Sweet vermouth, Ancho Reyes chile liqueur, Zucca, Grapefruit peel
- Spur of the Moment — Blanco tequila, Mezcal, Aromatized wine, Dry vermouth, Lemon bitters