Sombra is a brand of mezcal made in the village of San Luis del Rio, south of Oaxaca, Mexico. The Sombra company was founded by Richard Betts, a Master Sommelier, Dennis Scholl (who along with Betts owns Betts & Scholl, a wine company), and Charles Bieler.
Sombra uses the espadin variety of agave, and cookes the hearts, or piñas over a mesquite fire, imparting a strong smoky aroma and flavor to their mezcal.
Sombra is double distilled, unaged, and bottled at 80 proof.
Some popular cocktails containing Sombra
- Coffee & Cigarettes — Coffee liqueur, Cynar, Demerara Rum, Islands Scotch, Mezcal
- Heart Full of Napalm — Mezcal, Amaro, Sweet vermouth, Fernet, Bitters, Grapefruit peel
- Diablo Rojo — Amaro Abano, Mezcal, Ancho Reyes Ancho Chile Liqueur, Coffee liqueur, Orange peel
- Crack in the Earth — Mezcal, Walnut Liqueur, Cynar, Ancho Reyes Ancho Chile Liqueur, Bitters, Orange peel
- Ashes in Our Mouth — Mezcal, Zucca, Ancho Reyes Ancho Chile Liqueur, Sweet vermouth, Grapefruit peel