- Go to step 1.
- Will anyone ever figure this out?
- Sometimes eggs are used to make Easter eggs. Like this one.
Some cocktails contain uncooked eggs. Egg white contributes a foam head, and if well-shaken, a creamy texture, whereas egg yolk contributes body, softening and integrating the flavors. Cocktails known as flips contain a shaken whole egg. Fizzes contain carbonation, sometimes aided by a shaken egg white.
The proteins in egg white may be denaturalized when used in highly alcoholic or acidic cocktails, resulting in unappetizing white threads. To minimize this, add the egg white last, after all diluting ingredients.
Health risk. Consumption of raw eggs may result in illness due to contamination with Salmonella bacteria or similar pathogens. U.S. commercial farmers use a solution to quickly sanitize eggs after laying. To minimize the risk, use fresh eggs with perfect shells. Prudent sanitary practice would suggest thorough washing of bartending tools which have touched the egg cocktail prior to reuse. The very concerned could wash the egg shell again at home prior to use.
A large study of egg contamination by the US. Department of Agriculture pegs the risk at about 1:30,000 per egg, or 1.2% per year if you ate one raw egg every single day. Production procedures in other countries vary, and therefore the risk may vary as well. Wikipedia on eggs and health risks.
Some popular cocktails containing Whole egg
- Coffee's For Closers — Coffee liqueur, Averna, Bénédictine, Whole egg, Nutmeg
- The Notorious F.L.I.P. — Jamaican rum, Bonal Gentiane Quina, Amaro Nardini, Whole egg, Demerara syrup, Nutmeg
- Fork & Knife Flip — Genever, Sherry, Cardamom bitters, Whole egg, Beer Syrup, Cream
- Freudian Flip — Cognac, Calvados, Bénédictine, Bitters, Absinthe, Whole egg, Nutmeg
- brown is the new black — Stout, Virgin Islands Rum, Dark rum, Averna, Bénédictine, Bitters, Whole egg
- Bananas Foster Flip — Cognac, Rum, Crème de Banane, Bitters, Whole egg, Heavy cream
- Fernet Flip-out — Fernet Branca, Mezcal, Walnut Liqueur, Bitters, Peychaud's Bitters, Espresso, Whole egg, Agave syrup, Orange peel
- Smoke 'n Choke — Cynar, Stout, Scotch, Chocolate bitters, Whole egg, Brown sugar coffee syrup
- The Legend Continues — Dark rum, Coffee liqueur, Whole egg, Orange juice, Orgeat, Coffee bean
- Dr. Adam's Fosbury Flip — Drambuie, Añejo rum, Aphrodite bitters, Whole egg, Caraway seeds, Rich simple syrup 2:1, Salt, Black pepper, Nutmeg