|3||oz||Bourbon (or rye)|
|1||cube||Sugar (or 1 tsp simple syrup)|
|1||twst||Lemon zest (as garnish)|
Wet sugar cube with bitters and a dash of soda or water in an old fashioned glass, muddle, add ice and whiskey, stir to dissolve thoroughly, garnish
Some prefer a fruity garnish, including an orange slice, lemon twist, and 2 maraschino cherries. Some top with a splash of soda. Perhaps more so than any other cocktail, the Old Fashioned may be endlessly varied by using different spirits, or by adding a dash of curacao, absinthe, or other liqueur. Some would argue that these latter additions make it an "Improved" cocktail.
The original cock-tail, a combination of whiskey, sugar, bitters, and ice.
From other users
- Typically make mine short with 2 oz whiskey, 2 ds bitters, muddle orange peel with simple and bitters and then add ice and whiskey.
- 9:1 ratio: 3 oz bourbon, 1/3 oz simple; or 2 oz bourbon, 1 tsp simple (or 1 sugar cube).
- Add orange peel.
- Along the Bourbon Trail Garnish with slice of orange and a cherry -OR- with a twist of orange peel and a cherry.
- 2 oz, 1/4 oz, 2 dashes
- Wouldn't a bourbon-based Old Fashioned get orange zest and a rya-based Old Fashioned get lemon zest?
- Wide Orange peel garnish for this one.
- Rye 3 Angestora 2 Peyschauds 2 Orange bitters
- 2oz. Whiskey (Bourbon or Rye), 0.25 oz. Simple, a few dashes of Angostura, Orange Twist for garnish (Lemon if using Rye). Also good with Licor 43 in place of simple. Try other sweeteners.
- I prefer it lighter with 2oz. bourbon or rye
- Omar Bradley — Bourbon, Bitters, Orange marmalade, Simple syrup, Lemon juice
- Benton's Old Fashioned — Bourbon, Bitters, Grade B maple syrup, Orange peel
- Improved Whiskey Cocktail — Bourbon, Bitters, Maraschino Liqueur, Absinthe, Simple syrup, Lemon zest
- Mint Julep — Bourbon, Rich demerara syrup 2:1, Mint
- Battle of New Orleans — Bourbon, Peychaud's Bitters, Orange bitters, Absinthe, Simple syrup
- Mother-In-Law — Bourbon, Maraschino Liqueur, Orange Curaçao, Bitters, Torani Amer, Peychaud's Bitters, Simple syrup
- Old Fashion Apple Pie — Flavored whiskey, Rye, Bitters, Orange
- Fancy Mint Julep — Bourbon, Simple syrup, Mint, Fine sugar
- Derby Cocktail — Bourbon, Bénédictine, Bitters
- Mint Tea Julep — Rye, Zucca, Mint, Demerara syrup