|2⁄3||oz||Martinique Rum, La Favorite Blanc|
|2⁄3||oz||Demerara Rum, El Dorado|
|2⁄3||oz||Jamaican rum, Wray & Nephew Overproof Rum|
|1⁄2||oz||Triple sec, Cointreau|
|1||twst||Lemon peel (expressed and discarded)|
Stir without ice to dissolve acid, and then stir with ice, strain, and serve up. Twist and discard.
"Improved" refers to the presence of absinthe and Maraschino, and is not meant to suggest that the recipe is an improvement on Zachary Pearson's original. The almond and marzipan notes of the Maraschino combined with the perfume of the absinthe and the almond extract recall the orgeat, while citric acid and lemon oil stand for the original's citrus. The Demerara rum gives vanilla notes and deepens the complexity.
From other users
- Made with a squeeze of lemon juice rather than the citric acid and a half tsp of orgeat. Good but needs a little further work.
- Franklin Bearse — Rum, Triple sec, Herbal liqueur, Bitters
- The FVD — Bourbon, Sweet vermouth, Bermuda rum, Orange liqueur, Bitters
- Rum Row Old Fashioned — Demerara Rum, Blended rum, Bitters, Sugar, Water, Orange peel
- Midnight Oil — Bermuda rum, Ginger Bitters, Tea, Molasses, Black Cardamom
- Gruff and Rumble — Rum, Orange liqueur, Branca Menta, Bitters, Lime juice
- The Equinox — Hum, Sweet vermouth, Rye, Bitters
- Bog Harvest 2 — White whiskey, Sweet vermouth, Cranberry liqueur, Cranberry bitters
- Tequila Amargo — Reposado Tequila, Sweet vermouth, Marc de Champagne, Cassis, Bitters
- The French Connection — Tequila, Herbal liqueur, Applejack, Mezcal, Bitters
- Meatpacker — Bourbon, Sweet vermouth, Limoncello, Bitters