Demerara rum is a type of rum made in Guyana, on the northern coast of South America. English-speaking Guyana has been a sugar producing country since the 17th century, and was the original rum supplied to the British Navy. Today, there is only one active distillery left in Guyana, owned by a company called Demerara Distillers.
Demerara rum is most similar in style to Jamaican rum, but has a smoky, almost burnt flavor that can add complexity to cocktails.
Demerara Distillers makes dozens of different rums, in a range of age statements. The interesting thing is that each individual still has a marque identifying it. For example, El Dorado 12 is a blend of ELCR (Elmore, a wooden Coffey still), SV (Diamond, a metal Coffey still), and AW (Port Mourant, a double wooden pot still). Coffey stills are column stills, which producer a cleaner, lighter style of rum.
For more information about Demerara still marks, it is best to search online -- the information is out there.
Some popular cocktails containing Demerara Rum
- Decadent Stout Flip — Averna, Stout, Demerara Rum, Allspice Dram, Bitters, Whole egg, Nutmeg
- Spanish Sigh — Cynar, Bonal Gentiane Quina, Demerara Rum, Bitters, Cream Sherry, Orange, Salt, Orange peel
- No Bananas Today — Jamaican rum, Demerara Rum, Crème de Banane, Bitters, Simple syrup, Lime juice, Banana
- Spanish Coffee Stout — Stout, Añejo rum, Demerara Rum, Orange liqueur, Coffee liqueur, Pedro Ximénez Sherry, Licor 43, Whipped cream, Coffee
- The Miller Shake — Añejo rum, Calvados, Coconut liqueur, Demerara Rum, Bitters, Egg white, Lime juice, Lemon juice, Rich demerara syrup 2:1, Black Cardamom
- Piña Colada (Beer) — Stout, Demerara Rum, Jamaican rum, Coconut cream, Pineapple juice, Mint
- Marseille, July 4th, 1895 — Byrrh, Demerara Rum, Gran Classico, Cherry Liqueur, Pelinkovac, Cognac, Bitters, Grenadine, Rose water, Lactart
- Banana Bread Flip — Crème de Banane, Demerara Rum, Virgin Islands Rum, Allspice Dram, Whole egg
- Sans-Souci — Demerara Rum, Crème de Banane, Clairin, Bitters, Lime juice, Grenadine, Demerara syrup
- Coffee & Cigarettes — Cynar, Coffee liqueur, Mezcal, Islands Scotch, Demerara Rum