Bittermens is a new wave cocktail bitters producer based in Brooklyn, New York. Started in 2007 by Avery and Janet Glasser, Bittermens products are made by hand, from mostly organic materials. In 2011, they launched Bittermens Spirits, a line of exotic bitter-tinged liqueurs, including the Amer Picon-like Amère Nouvelle.
There has been some confusion recently about the partnership between Bittermens and The Bitter Truth, a bitters producer in Germany. In 2009, Bittermens began a marketing agreement with The Bitter Truth where The Bitter Truth would make the Bittermens line in Europe, and market their Hopped Grapefruit and Xocolatl Mole Bitters in the United States. This partnership is now ended. The new bottles are dropper style, in blue glass, with beautiful, whimsical graphics.
One "dash" of bitters equivalent to the Bittermens dropper filled 1/4 of its length, or about 15-18 drops.
Bittermens makes five core bitters, all 88 proof:
- Hopped Grapefruit is flavored with hops and grapefruit.
- Xocolatl Mole Bitters is flavored with chocolate, cinnamon and spices. It was the original bitters invented by Avery and Janet Glasser, the founders of Bittermens.
- ’Elemakule Tiki Bitters is flavored with cinnamon and allspice among other things.
- Boston Bittahs is flavored with citrus and chamomile.
- Burlesque Bitters was released for Valentine's Day 2011, and is flavored with hibiscus, sour cherries, and peppery spice.
Some popular cocktails containing Bittermens Xocolatl Mole
- Five Points — Reposado Tequila, Mezcal, Sweet vermouth, Amaro Nardini, Nocino, Bitters, Orange
- The Pastry War Cocktail — Reposado Tequila, Sweet vermouth, Bitters, Mace tincture, Honey syrup, Lemon juice, Nutmeg, Tea
- Two or Three Things I know About White Negronis — Gin, Dry vermouth, Suze, Bénédictine, Bitters, Honey syrup
- Sweatpants & Vodka — Vodka, Bitters, Lime juice, Vanilla syrup, Mint
- Tainted Love — Campari, Crème Yvette, Islay Scotch, Bitters, Orange peel
- The Battalion Three — Bourbon, Chicory Liqueur, Sweet vermouth, Mezcal, Bitters, Orange peel
- Devil's Highway — Tequila, Islay Scotch, Suze, Bénédictine, Bitters, Honey syrup, Lemon peel
- Importer — Añejo tequila, Amaro Montenegro, Pedro Ximénez Sherry, Amontillado Sherry, Bitters, Orange peel
- Six Barrel Shotgun — Gin, Bourbon, Puerto Rican Rum, Sweet vermouth, Bitters, Simple syrup, Lemon juice
- In the Stacks — Scotch, Sherry, Cynar, Apricot liqueur, Bitters, Orange peel