Gold rum is a type of rum that is typically colored with caramel to give it some richness, color and flavor. They typically lack the flavor and richness of rums aged in oak barrels.
Due to a lack of legal requirements for the different types of rum, the best rule of thumb is that if a rum is very inexpensive and says "Gold" on the label, it is most likely caramel colored.
The Brugal Gold Rum pictured is aged 1 year in a barrel.
Some popular cocktails containing Gold rum
- Church Bay Cooler — Gold rum, Sherry, Vanilla Soda water, Passion fruit syrup, Lemon juice, Mint, Lemon
- Gun Club Shrub — Gold rum, Triple sec, Pineapple juice, Orange oleo-saccharum, White balsamic vinegar
- Dana Special — Gold rum, Campari, Passion fruit syrup, Lime juice
- Holiday In Osaka — Shochu, Gold rum, Cherry Liqueur, Club soda, Cranberry shrub, Cranberry, Orange
- Cosmic Charlie Swizzle — Gold rum, Galliano, Cherry Liqueur, Absinthe, Pineapple juice, Lime juice
- Pearl Diver — Gold rum, Demerara Rum, Bitters, Crushed ice, Lime juice, Orange juice, Honey, Butter, Cinnamon syrup, Donn's Spices #2
- China Clipper — Gold rum, Lemon juice, Simple syrup, Lemon peel
- Fenway Sling — Gold rum, Bénédictine, Bitters, Cherry shrub, Seltzer water
- Berkshire Daiquiri — Gold rum, Dry vermouth, Orange liqueur, Lime juice, Ginger shrub
- 3 B's — Gold rum, Overproof bourbon, Amaro Montenegro, Campari, Pacharan