Gold rum is a type of [ingredient=rum rum] that is typically colored with caramel to give it some richness, color and flavor. They typically lack the flavor and richness of rums aged in oak barrels.
Due to a lack of legal requirements for the different types of rum, the best rule of thumb is that if a rum is very inexpensive and says "Gold" on the label, it is most likely caramel colored.
The Brugal Gold Rum pictured is aged 1 year in a barrel.
Some popular cocktails containing Gold rum
- Church Bay Cooler — Gold rum, Sherry, Vanilla Soda water, Passion fruit syrup, Lemon juice, Mint, Lemon
- Gun Club Shrub — Gold rum, Triple sec, Pineapple juice, Orange oleo-saccharum, White balsamic vinegar
- Boo Loo — Gold rum, Demerara Rum, Jamaican rum, Pineapple juice, Lime juice, Club soda, Honey syrup, Pineapple
- Puka Punch — Light rum, Gold rum, Dark rum, Demerara Rum, Falernum, Crushed ice, Lime juice, Orange juice, Pineapple juice, Passion fruit syrup, Honey syrup, Cherry, Pineapple, Orange
- Holiday In Osaka — Shochu, Gold rum, Cherry Liqueur, Club soda, Cranberry shrub, Orange, Cranberry
- Dana Special — Gold rum, Campari, Passion fruit syrup, Lime juice
- Berkshire Daiquiri — Gold rum, Dry vermouth, Orange liqueur, Lime juice, Ginger shrub
- Colonel Beach's Plantation Punch — Dark rum, Gold rum, Falernum, Herbal liqueur, Bitters, Ginger beer, Pineapple juice, Lime juice, Pineapple, Mint
- Mai-Kai Swizzle — Gold rum, Jamaican rum, Falernum, Orange juice, Cherry, Lemon juice, Mango juice, Rich simple syrup 2:1, Orgeat, Pineapple
- Pearl Diver — Gold rum, Demerara Rum, Bitters, Crushed ice, Lime juice, Orange juice, Honey, Butter, Cinnamon syrup, Donn's Spices #2