Palo Cortado Sherry is a type of [ingredient=sherry sherry] that, when authentic, is quite rare. Palo Cortado means "cut stick" in Spanish, which refers to the barrel mark -- a downward slash marking barrels set for the [ingredient=fino-sherry Fino] program, and a mark through it perpendicular for Palo Cortado.
Traditionally, Palo Cortado sherry happens when the flor - the yeasty scum that forms on top of Fino sherry, fails for some reason. The resulting sherry is stuck between the reductive style of Fino and the oxidative style of [ingredient=oloroso-sherry Oloroso]. Alcohol is added to these barrels to bring them up to 17.5% alcohol.
Because the failure of flor cannot be predicted, true Palo Cortado sherry is very rare. It is now common to blend [ingredient=amontillado-sherry Amontillado] and Oloroso sherries together to mimic the flavor profile of Palo Cortado.
Palo Cortado sherry is full bodied and round enough to pair well with dinner, with seafood paella working quite well.
Some popular cocktails containing Palo Cortado Sherry
- Palo Negro — Reposado Tequila, Palo Cortado Sherry, Virgin Islands Rum, Orange liqueur, Demerara syrup, Orange
- Night Ritual — Rye, Palo Cortado Sherry, Ginger liqueur, Bénédictine, Bitters, Islay Scotch, Orange peel
- Lust for Life — Mezcal, Palo Cortado Sherry, Orgeat, Lemon juice, Pineapple juice, Cocoa powder
- Rye Witch — Rye, Strega, Palo Cortado Sherry, Orange bitters, Sugar cube, Orange peel
- Conquistador (Jennifer Contraveos) — Rum, Palo Cortado Sherry, Falernum, Orange bitters, Lemon juice
- Sherry Jungle Bird — Palo Cortado Sherry, Campari, Oloroso sherry, Pineapple juice, Lime juice, Simple syrup, Mint
- Crystal Fall — Brandy, Demerara Rum, Palo Cortado Sherry, Bitters, Apple juice, Lemon juice, Ginger syrup, Demerara syrup, Apple
- Auld Acquaintance — Scotch, Palo Cortado Sherry, Apple brandy, Bitters, Cinnamon syrup
- Holla! — Bourbon, Averna, Palo Cortado Sherry, Allspice Dram, Rosemary
- Holy Smokes — Blended Scotch, Palo Cortado Sherry, Bénédictine, Bitters, Lemon peel