Palo Cortado Sherry is a type of sherry that, when authentic, is quite rare. Palo Cortado means "cut stick" in Spanish, which refers to the barrel mark -- a downward slash marking barrels set for the Fino program, and a mark through it perpendicular for Palo Cortado.
Traditionally, Palo Cortado sherry happens when the flor - the yeasty scum that forms on top of Fino sherry, fails for some reason. The resulting sherry is stuck between the reductive style of Fino and the oxidative style of Oloroso. Alcohol is added to these barrels to bring them up to 17.5% alcohol.
Because the failure of flor cannot be predicted, true Palo Cortado sherry is very rare. It is now common to blend Amontillado and Oloroso sherries together to mimic the flavor profile of Palo Cortado.
Palo Cortado sherry is full bodied and round enough to pair well with dinner, with seafood paella working quite well.
Some popular cocktails containing Palo Cortado Sherry
- Palo Negro — Reposado Tequila, Palo Cortado Sherry, Virgin Islands Rum, Orange liqueur, Demerara syrup, Orange
- Earth & Sky — Blended rum, Batavia Arrack, Crème de Banane, Palo Cortado Sherry, Lime peel
- Night Ritual — Rye, Palo Cortado Sherry, Ginger liqueur, Bénédictine, Bitters, Islay Scotch, Orange peel
- Auld Acquaintance — Scotch, Palo Cortado Sherry, Apple brandy, Bitters, Cinnamon syrup
- Holla! — Bourbon, Averna, Palo Cortado Sherry, Allspice Dram, Rosemary
- Rye Witch — Rye, Strega, Palo Cortado Sherry, Orange bitters, Sugar cube, Orange peel
- Holy Smokes — Blended Scotch, Palo Cortado Sherry, Bénédictine, Bitters, Lemon peel
- Conquistador (Jennifer Contraveos) — Rum, Palo Cortado Sherry, Falernum, Orange bitters, Lemon juice
- The Ruse — Palo Cortado Sherry, Bourbon, Averna, Orange bitters, Lemon juice, Orgeat, Rich simple syrup 2:1, Orange, Mint
- Crystal Fall — Brandy, Demerara Rum, Palo Cortado Sherry, Bitters, Apple juice, Lemon juice, Ginger syrup, Demerara syrup, Apple