The pineapple (Ananas comosus) is a tropical fruit thought to have originated in southern Brazil or Paraguay. The pineapple is in the bromeliad family, and is actually an interwoven collection of berries arranged around interlocked spirals. The pineapple has a brown, tough, spiny skin and a succession of green spikes on top, both of which are inedible.
Cutting away the skin and the top of the pineapple reveals a golden, juicy-sweet fruit with a sunny-musky aroma and a sweet and sour flavor, though it is more sweet than sour. While the canned, pasteurized juice of the pineapple is commonly available, using the fruit itself in cocktail applications also lends texture and a more complex flavor profile.
Some popular cocktails containing Pineapple
- Caribbean Coffee Crush — Añejo rum, Falernum, Fernet Branca, Simple syrup, Lime juice, Pineapple
- South Park Sling — Gin, Cherry Liqueur, Aperol, Cynar, Bitters, Cherry, Pineapple juice, Lime juice, Passion fruit syrup, Pineapple
- Juke Cup — Falernum, Rhum Agricole, Ginger beer, Lime juice, Honey syrup, Pineapple, Cucumber
- In Bruges — Gin, Lemon juice, Pineapple syrup, Pineapple, Saison beer
- Milwaukie — Kinnickinnic Whiskey, Dry vermouth, Rehorst Citrus & Honey Vodka, Orange bitters, Honey syrup, Pineapple