Raspberries are an edible fruit of any one of a few dozen species in the genus Rubus, but especially strigosus and idaeus. Most raspberries today are cultivated, though wild raspberries can be found al over the world.
Raspberries are technically a collection of drupelets, small fruits with a hard seed in the middle. Dozens of individual drupes make up each raspberry. Raspberries come in a variety of colors, from golden to the more common red, and into purple and black.
Raspberries are an important flavoring agent. The primary aroma of raspberry comes from raspberry ketone, which is one of the world's most expensive aroma chemicals.
Fresh raspberries can be used in cocktails either as a garnish or muddled into a drink. Alcoholic products of raspberries, like Framboise (an eau de vie made from raspberries) or Chambord (a raspberry flavored liqueur) are also common cocktail ingredients.
Some popular cocktails containing Raspberry
- CINCO DE MAYO — Tequila, Crème de Fraise, Aromatized wine, Mezcal, Lemon juice, Agave syrup, Red Bell Pepper, Raspberry
- Blind Date at Chelsea — Cognac VSOP, Sloe gin, Maraschino Liqueur, Lemon juice, Simple syrup, Strawberry, Raspberry, Lemon peel
- About Face — Kummel, Gin, Raspberry, Egg yolk, Lemon juice, Simple syrup
- Rooster-Tail — Apple brandy, Madeira, Peach liqueur, Peychaud's Bitters, Raspberry, Lemon juice, Raspberry syrup, Mint
- Rhymer Reason — Light rum, Raspberry Limoncello, Cava, Ginger liqueur, Lemon Tree Bitters, Lemon juice, Raspberry
- Midnight Sun — Cuban rum, Galliano, White Crème de Cacao, Raspberry liqueur, Soda water, Raspberry, Grapefruit juice, Grapefruit peel
- Raspberry Whiskey Smasheroo — Bourbon, Cassis, Orange bitters, Raspberry, Agave syrup, Lemon
- Beach Bitterness — Bourbon, Fernet Branca, Sweet vermouth, Bitters, Blackberry, Raspberry, Lemon juice, Simple syrup
- Modified Mandalorian — Whiskey, Raspberry, Dry Raspberry Brandy, Maraschino cherry syrup, Maraschino cherry
- Where the Sun Shines — Bourbon, Elderflower liqueur, Raspberry, Ginger beer, Sugar