|2 1⁄2||oz||Brandy (see note)|
|3⁄4||oz||Sweet vermouth, Dolin|
|2||ds||Bitters (See note)|
|1||rinse||Islay Scotch, Octomore|
This is a Manhattan variation: stir the brandy, vermouth and bitters then strain into a chilled, Islay-rinsed cocktail glass.
I used a homemade bitter, the flavour of profile was based on the spices you'd use to make boerwors. You'll want something with clove, nutmeg, black pepper. For the brandy, use South African brandy. I used KWV 10 but found myself wishing for a 50:50 split of that and cheap Klipdrift.
A May 2015 MxMo entry. The name comes from a rather nasty run-in between the Afrikaners and Zulu.
- Corpse Reviver #Rob — Brandy, Apple brandy, Sweet vermouth, Gold rum, Bitters
- Improved Brandy Cocktail — Cognac, Maraschino Liqueur, Bitters, Absinthe, Simple syrup
- The Handy Bird — Brandy, Rye, Curaçao, Bitters, Absinthe, Lemon peel
- Great Scott — Sweet vermouth, Calvados, Bourbon, Bitters
- Oh-La-La — Cognac, Aperol, Peychaud's Bitters, Herbal liqueur, Lemon peel
- The Special Relationship — Scotch, Rye, Bourbon, Apple brandy, Orange bitters, Bitters, Demerara syrup, Lemon peel, Orange peel
- Rusty Automaton — Rye, Cherry Liqueur, Bourbon, Bitters, Orange peel
- Sioux City Slugger — Whiskey, Peychaud's Bitters, Demerara syrup
- Trade Wind — Cognac, Swedish Punsch, Amaro Nardini, Lemon peel
- Across The River — Bourbon, Bonal Gentiane Quina, Bitters, Gran Classico