A layered cocktail that starts light and crisp, but finishes heavier and bittersweet. It also looks quite striking.
|1 1⁄2||oz||Soju (I used Tokki)|
|1||oz||Curaçao, Pierre Ferrand Dry Curaçao|
|1⁄4||oz||Campari (Add a good pinch of salt to the Campari and stir till it disolves, then set aside until the end.)|
Shake everything with ice except for the salted Campari. Strain into a glass, then pour the salted Campari over the cocktail (the Campari will sink, creating a vivid red layer at the bottom of the drink).
Salting the Campari is vital! Counterintuitively, adding a nice pinch of salt to Campari makes it sweeter and rounds out the flavor. It also makes the drinker salivate a little, giving the drink a richer impression.
I created this one after trying the Beta Cocktails "Campari Martini." I wanted to integrate salted bitter liqueur into a crowd-pleasing cocktail, and I think the Viper Drop hits the mark.
- Papa Doble — Light rum, Maraschino Liqueur, Lime juice, Simple syrup, Grapefruit juice
- Apple Sidecar (Clear Creek) — Vodka, Apple brandy, Simple syrup, Lemon juice, Tangerine juice, Tangerine peel
- Sweetened With Better-Sweet Love, or Something Along Those Spacious Lines — Vodka, Montenegro, Averna, Bitters, Lime juice, Simple syrup, Egg white, Orange peel
- Tuscan Rosemary Lemon Drop — Vodka, Limoncello, Simple syrup, Lemon juice, Rosemary
- The S.O.S. — Light rum, Aperol, Lime juice, Maple syrup, Club soda
- Salt of the Earth — Blanco tequila, Triple sec, Lime juice, Agave syrup
- Ab-Duck-Shun — Ginger liqueur, Orange liqueur, Absinthe, Lavender bitters, Lemon juice, Mascarpone cheese, Black pepper
- Peg Leg Punch — Vodka, Aquavit, Grapefruit juice, Lemon juice, Orgeat, Simple syrup, Mint, Lemon
- Rita Hayworth (juice variation) — Blanco tequila, Lime juice, Pineapple juice, Agave syrup, Honey, Sage
- Indochine — Rum, Herbal liqueur, Lime juice, Simple syrup, Thai Basil