A Martini riff inspited by the banana-tinged Manhattan, the Zemurray.
|1 1⁄2||oz||Gin (Preferably a London Dry)|
|1⁄2||oz||Rhum Agricole (Blanc)|
|1⁄4||oz||Crème de Banane|
|1||twst||Lemon peel (As garnish)|
Stir with ice, strain into a cocktail glass, and garnish with a lemon twist.
Drink was initially made with dry vermouth (Noilly Prat), but in remaking it, blanc vermouth seemed to round out the edges better. Feel free to take that route (or split the vermouth 50:50 dry:blanc) if your palate requires a more austere dryness.
I was inspired by the Zemurray by Vince Lund then of French 75 that he named after "Sam the Banana Man" Zemurray, the long time king of the New Orleans banana business. I wondered if I could craft a parallel Martini riff. For a name, I made this drink a tribute to Boston fruit seller Andrew Preston & Wellfleet ship captain Lorenzo Baker who teamed up in the 1870s to start importing bananas to Boston. This ventured soon morphed into the Boston Fruit Company that later merged with Zemurray's and other tropical fruit importing ventures to form the United Fruit Company that later became Chiquita.
From other users
- Fruitier Agricole recommended. Possibly up Creme de Banana as well
- Would try 50/50 blanc/dry
- Bijou Bohème — Gin, Dry vermouth, Herbal liqueur, Elderflower liqueur, Orange bitters, Brandied cherry
- Kina Cocktail — Gin, Sweet vermouth, Aromatized wine
- Zanadu — Gin, Dry vermouth, Campari, Elderflower liqueur, Honey syrup
- Kiss — Gin, Aromatized wine, Sweet vermouth, Maraschino Liqueur, Apple
- The Eyrie — Gin, Dry vermouth, Eau de vie of Douglas Fir, Herbal liqueur, Grapefruit bitters, Grapefruit peel
- Amaryllis — Gin, Bianco Vermouth, Apricot liqueur, Orange bitters
- White Negroni — Gin, Aromatized wine, Suze
- Minnehaha Cocktail — Gin, Sweet vermouth, Dry vermouth, Pastis, Orange juice
- Spruce Goose — Gin, Bianco Vermouth, Maraschino Liqueur, Bitters
- The Naughty Sundress — Old Tom Gin, Manzanilla sherry, Elderflower liqueur, Basil eau de vie, Peach bitters, Lemon peel