Nux Alpina is a liqueur made by Distillerie Purkhart in Austria. Nux Alpina is made from double distilled grape brandy that is infused with green walnuts, herbs and spices. It is bottled at 64 proof.
Green walnuts as a flavoring for alcohol have a long history, and these liqueurs are made throughout Germany and Austria, France and Italy. Traditionally, green walnuts are picked in early summer, split in half carefully (they stain everything they touch), then placed in a large crock covered in alcohol, which is then sealed and left out in the summer sun for months. The infusion is then strained, flavored with citrus and herbs, sweetened, and brought down to drinkable proof.
Nux Alpina is imported by Haus Alpenz.
Some popular cocktails containing Nux Alpina
- The Alpine Rabbit — Bourbon, Walnut Liqueur, Carrot juice, Demerara syrup, Ginger, Fleur de sel
- Ja Mon — Cachaça, Dark rum, Falernum, Añejo rum, Orange bitters, Walnut Liqueur, Grapefruit juice, Lime juice
- Rexford — Scotch, Cynar, Walnut Liqueur, Grapefruit bitters, Grapefruit peel
- A Royal Union — Calvados, Averna, Amaro Nonino, Walnut Liqueur, Bitters
- Ghost of the Pine — Walnut Liqueur, Zirbenz Stone Pine Liqueur, Rye, Orange bitters, Mezcal