Nux Alpina is a liqueur made by Distillerie Purkhart in Austria. Nux Alpina is made from double distilled grape brandy that is infused with green walnuts, herbs and spices. It is bottled at 64 proof.
Green walnuts as a flavoring for alcohol have a long history, and these liqueurs are made throughout Germany and Austria, France and Italy. Traditionally, green walnuts are picked in early summer, split in half carefully (they stain everything they touch), then placed in a large crock covered in alcohol, which is then sealed and left out in the summer sun for months. The infusion is then strained, flavored with citrus and herbs, sweetened, and brought down to drinkable proof.
Nux Alpina is imported by Haus Alpenz.
Some popular cocktails containing Nux Alpina
- Walnut Room — Bourbon, Walnut Liqueur, Amaro, Coffee liqueur, Bitters, Orange peel
- Honeysuckle — Prosecco, Peach liqueur, Walnut Liqueur
- In Vida Veritas — Mezcal, Zirbenz Stone Pine Liqueur, Walnut Liqueur, Bénédictine, Bitters
- Black Walnut Old Fashioned — Bourbon, Orange bitters, Walnut Liqueur, Demerara syrup, Orange peel
- Black Walnut Boulevardier — Rye, Campari, Sweet vermouth, Walnut Liqueur, Bitters, Orange peel
- Amaro Cocktail — Cynar, Walnut Liqueur, Cachaça, Orange peel, Lemon zest
- World's Fair — Rye, Amaro Montenegro, Sweet vermouth, Walnut Liqueur, Bitters, Cherry, Orange peel
- Nutty Frenchman — Orange liqueur, Walnut Liqueur, Bitters, Amaretto, Heavy cream, Orange peel
- Rexford — Scotch, Cynar, Walnut Liqueur, Grapefruit bitters, Grapefruit peel
- Sentimental Gentleman — Blended Scotch, Bénédictine, Walnut Liqueur
Perhaps the orphan Nocino drinks should be combined under this ingredient header such as the Storm King.