A room temperature sipper that got on the menu at Russel House Tavern.
|1⁄2||oz||Crème de Cacao (I used Tempus Fugit.)|
|1||bsp||Absinthe (A scant bsp, a little less than 1/8 oz.)|
Build in a snifter (or single Old Fashioned) glass. Briefly stir to mix without ice. Note: This is a room temperature drink.
Scaffas have everything going for them to fulfill the 1806 definition of a cocktail except for the water component. They are served room temperature with no dilution.
The recipe started with thinking about Eric Seed (Haus Alpenz)'s declaration that Byrrh and mezcal are a stunning duo. The end result tasted better before dilution and chilling and ended up on the menu as a Scaffa. We used whatever mezcal was our well mezcal then, but I used Chichicapa for the photo to make it into Del Maguey's drink of the month in late 2014. Also, named after a John Fante book.
- The Reluctant Saint — Mezcal, Byrrh, Campari, Crème de Cacao, Absinthe, Orange peel
- The Dry Season — Aromatized wine, Tequila, Mezcal, Aperol
- Eyes on the Table — Mezcal, Byrrh, Aperol, Elderflower liqueur, Bitters, Orange peel
- Traidor — Mezcal, Cardamaro, Aperol, Bitters, Orange peel
- Montresor & Fortunato — Mezcal, Cynar, Amontillado Sherry, Elderflower liqueur, Orange bitters, Lemon peel
- Smoky Sunset — Mezcal, Gran Classico, Rosato Vermouth, Bitters
- Oaxacan Negroni — Mezcal, Sweet vermouth, Campari, Lemon zest
- His Was A Heart Of Darkness — Mezcal, Bitters, Sweet vermouth, Amargo de Chile, Grapefruit peel
- El Nacional — Campari, Mezcal, Dry vermouth, Ramazzotti, Chocolate bitters, Islay Scotch, Lemon peel
- oaxacan — Sweet vermouth, Campari, Mezcal, Lemon peel