Democratic yet old school
|2||oz||Scotch, Highland Park 12|
|1⁄2||oz||Amer Picon, Amer Boudreau|
Stir the scotch, amaro, vermouth, and bitters over ice vigorously for at least 30 seconds. Strain into a cocktail glass and garnish with lemon oil.
The evolution of this cocktail started with the My Own cocktail in Esquire's handbook for hosts. I think there is much to do with gin, vermouth, bitters, and liquor. I had just made a batch of Jamie Boudeau's approximation of the old Amer Picon so I wondered what My Own would taste like with my Amer in place of Cherry Heering. The result was pretty decent, but I kept thinking scotch for some reason. The result was somewhat similar to the Dagny Taggart that they serve at Seven Grand in LA.
From other users
- Astringent. Mlik chocolate.
- Tooth & Nail — Speyside Scotch, Amer Picon, Cynar, Drambuie, Bitters
- Liberal — Rye, Sweet vermouth, Amer Picon, Orange bitters
- Devils Soul — Rye, Averna, Mezcal, Elderflower liqueur, Aperol
- Orange Sunset — Bourbon, Aperol, Mezcal
- One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Byrrh — Bourbon, Byrrh, Scotch, Curaçao, Bitters
- Smoky Grove — Scotch, Dry vermouth, Sweet vermouth, Orange bitters, Bitters, Orange peel
- Manhattan, Wisconsin — Brandy, Sweet vermouth, Bitters, Lemon peel
- Heathen VC — Rye, Sweet vermouth, Armagnac, Bitters, Triple sec, Absinthe
- Midnight in Manhattan — Rye, Sweet vermouth, Averna, Bitters
- Jackson Ward — Rye, Sweet vermouth, Wormwood bitters, Orange bitters, Amaro Nardini, Lemon peel