|1⁄2||oz||Red wine (as float)|
Dissolve sugar in juices, add whiskey and shake. Strain into a coupe and float wine.
Other kinds of whiskey also work here, and actually the Washington Post has cognac as the base.
Reiner's twist on the 19th-century New York Sour is the addition of orange juice which David Wondrich says "makes the drink."
- New York Sour — Rye, Red wine, Curaçao, Lemon juice, Water, Sugar
- Berkshire Daiquiri — Gold rum, Dry vermouth, Orange liqueur, Lime juice, Ginger shrub
- Baumé Squad — Bourbon, Red wine, Bitters, Lemon juice, Grenadine, Orange juice, Orange peel
- Manly Pink Drink — Midwest Wheat White Whiskey, Dry vermouth, Crème Yvette, Lemon juice
- Blind Lemon Jefferson — Bourbon, Orange bitters, Lemon juice, Honey syrup
- Cellar Door — Scotch, Bianco Vermouth, Calvados, Orange bitters, Lemon juice, Honey syrup
- Gold Rush — Bourbon, Honey syrup, Lemon juice
- the Nevins — Bourbon, Apricot liqueur, Bitters, Orange juice, Lemon juice
- Woody Sour — Bourbon, Rye, Allspice Dram, Bitters, Lemon juice, Demerara syrup
- Savory Smash — Rye, Cynar, Honey syrup, Lemon juice, Basil, Red Bell Pepper