when in El Salvador...the rum selection is not embargoed
|2||oz||Tea (Flor de Jamaica (Hibiscus in the US))|
|1||oz||Rum, Flor de Caña 7|
|1||ds||Bitters, Bitter Truth Chocolate|
|1||ds||Honey (Local Only)|
Shake with ice, strain into vessel of your choice.
The base of this drink is a tisane of hibiscus flower (known as Flor de Jamaica in Central America). It is sold in various commercial and quasi-commerical forms in Central America (typical grocery stores and roadside stands) and is something of a novelty in the US (I had a fine hibiscus-laced bourbon cocktail in San Francisco recently (Mina's Clock Bar in the St. Francis Westin, ask for Jeannie)). The honey provides a fundamental magnoliophyta underpinning to the cocktail. Since suggested to be local to El Salvador for this drink, it would be a native, broad angiospermic cross-section of local flora used by the bees. Any honey could be used for this aspect but it wouldn't be Salvadoran Flor, it would be a xxxx Flor.... Finally the ron, spec'd here as Flor de Cana. This is available in the US, it isn't completely embargoed, but it is still a bit of a rarity and if you can find it, it is quite nice. I used a 7 but the longer aged are even more smooth. Now that I am home I am going to try a dash of Elderflower liqueur, too.......
Mama needed a drink and I was ready to accommodate with a local/native concoction.
- Pocket Rocket — Vodka, Cynar, Elderflower liqueur, Celery bitters, Arugula, Lemon peel
- Jaguar Shark — Nicaraguan Rum, Coconut liqueur, Orange Curaçao, Cachaça, Boba, Crushed ice, Orange juice, Lemon juice, Lime juice
- 'Ti Leaves — Bison grass vodka, Rhum Agricole, Bianco Vermouth, Green tea, Ginger syrup, Pineapple
- Boston Tea Party — Light rum, Dry vermouth, Elderflower liqueur, Bitters, Sencha Green Tea
- Fortune Teller (Jessica Gonzalez) — Venezuelan rum, Bonal Gentiane Quina, Cynar
- November Witch — Rum, Rooibos tea, Whipped cream, Rich demerara syrup 2:1
- Sleepy Hollow — Venezuelan rum, Cognac, Allspice Dram, Pumpkin puree, Whole egg, Demerara syrup, Cinnamon
- Plato's cave — Overproof rum, Cynar, Licor 43, Coffee, Heavy cream
- Midnight Mass — Rum, Cardamaro, Bénédictine, Bitters, Orange peel
- Mexican Radio — Reposado Tequila, Apricot liqueur, Cynar, Bitters