A long lost classic
|2||oz||Japanese Whisky, Suntory Toki blended|
|1||twst||Lemon peel (as garnish)|
Shake, strain into a rocks glass with single rock. Garnish with a lemon wheel or twist.
There are many versions of this recipe, and the origins are unknown (according to Liquor.com) but most call for more lemon, and use Crème de Violette, which is good, but I think it's a better balance with a bit less lemon and actually find that Crème Yvette works much better and has a richer fuller violet flavor (less "soapy"). Scotch is up to you - I've made it with Cardhu as well as Glenrothes 12 yr Speyside and Suntory (best choice). This is one of my most favorite cocktails ever, and I have probably done more variations on this than any other. Please comment with your own variations...
- The Bellwether — Japanese Whisky, Islay Scotch, Crème de mure, Lemon juice, Honey syrup
- Smoke and Mirrors (Alex Day) — Blended Scotch, Islay Scotch, Absinthe, Lime juice, Simple syrup, Mint
- Yujacha Sour — Japanese Whisky, Yuzu bitters, Lemon juice, Egg white, Honey syrup, Yuzu preserves
- Smokescreen — Islay Scotch, Herbal liqueur, Simple syrup, Lime juice, Mint
- Tommy Gun — Irish whiskey, Orange liqueur, Lemon juice, Apricot jam, Ginger, Lemon peel
- Koi Pond Punch — Japanese Whisky, Umeshu, Shochu, Lemon juice, Simple syrup, Mango juice
- Islay Dawn — Islay Scotch, Pear liqueur, Lemon juice, Honey syrup, Simple syrup
- Tijuana Pharmacist — Mezcal, Drambuie, Bitters, Ginger beer, Lemon juice
- Blue Velvet — Islay Scotch, Jamaican rum, Ginger syrup, Lime juice
- Aul Man — Irish whiskey, Bitter Truth EXR, Lime juice, Honey Ginger Syrup, Lime peel, Candied ginger