A mashup of two whiskey-lemon drinks: Phil Ward's Last Word riff, the Final Ward, and the 1898 Boston classic, the Ward 8
|1||twst||Orange peel (As garnish.)|
Shake with ice, strain into a cocktail glass, and garnish with an orange twist (a cherry or a lemon twist or no garnish at all would work well here too).
Not as blaring as the Final Ward and not as basic as the Ward 8 but somewhere pleasantly in between.
Phil Ward's Last Word riff, the Final Ward, came into my mind. My brain free associated with the name and thought about the 1898 Boston classic, Ward 8. Those two drinks share two ingredients, rye and lemon juice, and one word in the name, so why not try to mash them up?
- Derby — Bourbon, Sweet vermouth, Curaçao, Lime juice, Lime, Mint
- September Sour — Bourbon, Maraschino Liqueur, Simple syrup, Lime juice, Lemon juice, Hellfire Habanero Shrub
- Bourbon Renewal — Bourbon, Cassis, Bitters, Lemon juice, Simple syrup
- Pony Express — Rye, White tea liqueur, Lemon juice, Grade B maple syrup, Lemon peel
- Kentucky Pilgrim — Bourbon, Maraschino Liqueur, Lemon juice, Demerara syrup, Lemon peel
- Black Diamond — Bourbon, Averna, Lemon juice, Simple syrup, Grapefruit juice
- Margarilla — Añejo tequila, Triple sec, Licor 43, Lime juice, Lime
- Tree Viper — Gold rum, Herbal liqueur, Demerara Rum, Blue Curaçao, Lime juice, Orgeat, Orange juice
- Maybach — Cognac, Swedish Punsch, Lemon juice, Simple syrup
- Rio Grande — Bourbon, Tequila, Simple syrup, Lime juice, Lemon juice, Ginger syrup