A Rum Scaffa that I created for the Women of the Wild West industry night I did with Katie Emmerson at the Blue Room in 2013.
|1 1⁄2||oz||Rhum Agricole|
|1||twst||Grapefruit peel (As garnish)|
Build in a rocks glass, give a quick stir (no ice), and garnish with a grapefruit twist.
The drink was served with aged agricole, but blanc would work well. And it was created with cachaça so feel free to substitute -- I did so when I put it on a menu for a guest shift at Backbar in 2017.
For our night (Katie Emmerson of the Hawthorne and me) of the Whiskey & Amari night series, we did a Women of the Wild West themed menu of 9 drinks to go along with the Spaghetti Westerns playing on the televisions. That night was the birthday of Matt Schrage, the series organizer, and he requested a birthday Scaffa to be created. Scaffas are old school room temperature drinks that would be cocktails if there were the water/ice component of the 1806 definition of spirits, sugar, water, & bitters. Since neither Katie nor I had come up with a rum drink, I started on that route. Cynar and agricole were a natural pairing, and Drambuie provided the body and sweetness to balance the alcohol heat (since there is no chilling and waterization to balance that). I named it after one of the famous characters of the Wild West, Eleanore Dumont. Dumont kept her mustache that developed later in life and utilized it as a gimmick at the brothel she ran.
From other users
- I feared this would be cloying, but the bitterness of Cynar and a generous mist from my grapefruit peel helped. Still quite honeyish, but nice dark flavors too.
- Maloney No. 2 — Bourbon, Sweet vermouth, Cynar, Maraschino Liqueur, Orange peel
- Santucci — Reposado Tequila, Sweet vermouth, Cynar, Mezcal, Cucumber
- Simmer and Smoke — Bourbon, Maraschino Liqueur, Sweet vermouth, Corn Whiskey, Cynar, Bitters, Simple syrup
- Mexican Radio — Reposado Tequila, Apricot liqueur, Cynar, Bitters
- A Walk in the Clouds — Guatemalan rum, Cynar, Islands Scotch, Coffee liqueur, Bitters, Orange peel
- Song About An Ex — Brandy, Herbal liqueur, Cynar, Grapefruit bitters, Lemon peel
- Ce Soir — Brandy, Cynar, Herbal liqueur, Orange bitters, Bitters, Lemon peel
- Chokehold — Bourbon, Cynar, Sweet vermouth, Elderflower liqueur, Orange bitters, Orange peel
- Dunderhead — Blended Scotch, Rum, Cynar, Cardamaro, Jamaican rum, Orange bitters
- Autumn Evening — Bourbon, Ginger liqueur, Cynar, Orange bitters